Doesn't want to move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't want to move

About 5 minutes ago I had my first major problem ever with the Festiva. It doesn't feel like moving. I have to rev to about 4000 RPMS and let up the clutch slowly or the engine will lurch anfd die. Once I do get moving the car lurches back and forth like I'm not giving it enough gas.

I was able to drive it home today, which is a rainy day. and did notice an extra lurch or two but thought nothing of it until a few minutes ago when I tried to back down the driveway and stalled out.

HELP!

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

You sure you're in first?

Check the shift cables. Maybe one broke.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Pretty sure I'm in 1st. I'll check the cables and see what happens.

Thanks!
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Cables are fine. I have the same problem in reverse. Any ideas?

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

wet distributor? I have noticed this on virtualy every EFI model.. don't know about the carb model... a little moister in the disty cap and it will sputter lurch etc etc.. Try this.. pull the cap off wd-40 it and put it back on.. see if that does the trick...

Comment

OK. Worth a shot.

Thanks!

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Also, it lopes when idling and if I put my foot on the gas and try to hold it at, say 2000 rpms, it dies down and then stalls out.

Regards,

Tim
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Sounds wet to me too, Tim. New cap, and rotor button just cost me less than 30 bucks. Might be worth a try. Good Luck!

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I agree. Check for wetness. Remove the cap and make sure it is dry. If the cap is old then change it and the button. Check the wires. Best way to check is to grab ahold of them while its running and if it feels like 40,000 volts going thru you then they are bad . Just kidding. Look for cracks or dry rot. On my 1st festiva I remember looking at them at night when they were damp and seeing the sparks jumping all over the place. Also check the plugs.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                  BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                  BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                  New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

See Matt, you were joking, but that's actually how I figured out which of my plug wires was bad. But then, I like pain. :twisted:

Comment

Distributor cap was fine. However, I noticed a bright blue spark going from the ignition coil to the terminal that connects to the tachometer. There's no breaks in the rubber cap yet the spark goes right through.

According to the previous owner, the car doesn't like to start on wet days and this is normal. Also, she said the thing eats spark plug wires. I did notice some green oxidation on the terminal of the wire going to the ignition coil.

Regards,

Tim
                      White '89L auto - Sold!
                      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

You've got a shorted wire, change 'em! My old S10 truck did the same thing in a driving rain. Only difference was, my truck just flat out would not start until it dried. And then I had to make sure that the short couldn't contact any metal. If it were me, while I'm in there, I'd change the cap and button anyway. :wink:

Comment

check the clutch as well
                          Ford Festiva 1992 Model, 1.3L 5 Door, Red, Mods- Roo-Bar with two spotlights, also stickers, on the bonnet, front window, and rear window

Comment

Working...
                          X