Won't start up... just clicks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't start up... just clicks.

My Ford Festiva (141,000 miles) won't start up. It just clicks when I try to start it up. It will start if I push it down the street and throw it into gear (it's a manual transmission) Also, when I am driving it down the street, the "CHARGE" light comes on when I turn too many electrical things on (headlights, radio, and fan).

I'm thinking it's my alternator and starter motor... does anybody know if there is a simple way to test both of these devices?

Thanks!
    "The presence of true self-confidence is the absense of worry, anxiety, and fear in a man's mind."

Check your battery ground. A bad ground will not allow the amperage of the battery to pass thru. Also could affect your alternator. Try this - take a set of jumper cable and connect the the black lead to the negative battery terminal and the other end of it to the engine block and see if it starts. This is a quick way to see if you have a grounding issue.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Re: Won't start up... just clicks.

Originally posted by FalconFJL
      I'm thinking it's my alternator and starter motor... does anybody know if there is a simple way to test both of these devices?
      Take the Alt in to get it tested, most parts shops have a tester.

Your battery may not be in such great shape either, if it hasn't been charging right for a long time.

If its bad, You will need a rebuilt, as I haven't seen repair packs
      lke you can get for regular fords and GM/Delcos.

Comment

Thanks for the advice mattswabb, weird name, though. :/ I tried what you said, but still no luck. I'm going with bad alternator now. I've taken it out (after quite some work! surprisingly, since it's just a small Festiva) and I'm going to replace it. Maybe from a salvage yard part. I'll compare prices with Auto Zone and all, though. :-)
        "The presence of true self-confidence is the absense of worry, anxiety, and fear in a man's mind."

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!

It was a bad battery. LMAO VH (Very Hard)

Comment

Nevermind, problem not solved.

It's more than just the battery, it looks like it's a short that keeps draining my battery. My alternator was tested and turned out good.

I would think that even with a short, the alternator would keep the car's electrical appliances running fine, but they don't. The more electrical load I put on the car while it's running (when I push start it) the more my lights dim and the car starts to sputter and die.

Not laughing so hard now, am I. :'(

Comment

Just check the darn grounding wire on your alternator. Also check the power wire that runs from the alternator to the battery, One guy on here had one burn up.

Comment

Checked all those things, thanks! Still there. Finally fixed it... it was just that the belt wasn't tight enough. :|

Comment

Working...
                X