Swapping engines need advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping engines need advice.

I need to do an engine swap on my 90 FI auto.

I've done engine swaps before. But, what do I have to do different on a FWD auto?

Someone said its easier to just pull the engine. But theres not enought room to seperate the two with it still in the engine bay??

I assume the engine and trans can come out from the top??

The engine I'm putting in is had a manual trans. How do I switch over the torque convertor.

Thanks for the help. I've never worked on FWD cars before or autos. So some of this is new ground.

David

I managed to pull the engine out and leave the transmission in.

The problem is when you go to put it back in there's a spot that likes to hit. But you can grind it down so it clears.

I ended up having to pull an axle to bend that little plate back into place.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

from what i've read/heard its easier to pull it as a unit (trany attached to engine). This is what i plan on doing for my B6 swap. once you have the auto engine pulled you will need to swap some things over (TPS, flywheel, etc) onto the engine that you are putting in... there are a few threads on this if you search others have done it and you can find out exactly what is different on the auto/manual engines.

should be fairly easy though...
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

For auto you have to remove the torque converter-to-driveplate fasteners and push the converter back a little bit into the bellhousing. the converter should remain on the transaxle

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

I just took my engine out a few weeks ago...left tranny in....not a really big deal. There was the spot that hit like darkdan said....it is the thin metal plate between the engine and flywheel. On the bottom backside(firewall side) we ground it down a bit and went back in no problem. I put a new clutch in, oil pan gasket, water pump, timing belt, valve cover gasket and power washed the engine bay while the engine was out.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

the only reason I would pull and engine without the transmission attached was if I couldn't afford to buy new transmission fluid. I've done a few swaps over the years, with both stock and non-stock motors and pulling everything as a unit is much easier IMO. Its a lot easier to mate the tranny to the motor outside the engine bay rather than inside.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Remove the pulleys on the front of the motor first. That will give you the extra room on the passenger side to seperate the engine and tranny. Then reinstall the motor with them off, then reattach them. Makes things easier.
              James
              Phoenix, Arizona
              --------------------------------------The Stable-----------------------------------------------------
              '91 Ford Festiva L, Mostly Smurf Blue with some white and dark blue as well. For Sale
              '10 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Ruby Red Pearl <~~~ Wife's car
              '13 Hyundai Accent SE, Ironman Silver <~~~My Car
              My SuperMotors Page

Comment

eh sorry i cant help a bit here. just thought id let you know how i was tought to remove engines at the junkyard, take the 4-8 main bolts off, shove the fork lift arms under the engine and lifter in the air. lol

im dreading a engine swap...

Comment

or there's the other JY way to do it on an FWD... pull out the bolts and crossmemeber off, then pick up the car itself leaving the engine sitting on the gorund
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

without the engine and transaxle the car would probably be lighter than the unit itself

1.3Liter 4 cylinder FI , OHC, FWD, 3DR, 4ST, Stud. Tires

Comment

i always fear on the automatic not installing the converter back in the transmission right and damaging the front pump of the transmission.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

David

Comment

Oh, heres my input. take the engine out, leave the transmission in. make sure and take off all pulleys/belts on the passenger side of the engine so it will have some room. Also, make sure and unbolt the transmission so it has some "play". I did it that way two days ago and it was great!

Joe
                          Dirty Bird Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lZFu6xRNk
                          extreme unicycling with my Festiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSEpsjCKQ0

Comment

I swapped engines on my '92 without removing the transmission or any axles. My car has a manual transmission. I put an automatic engine from a junkyard car in it. All Ihad to do was replace the flywheel. I unbolted the intake manifold from the engine, but left it (the intake) in the car. I removed the alternator, belt and pulleys and then pulled the engine. I didn't even have to remove the hood. It is a tight sqeeze, no doubt, but if I can do it, anyone can. Whats even more fun is getting the engine back in there. But again, if I can do it, you can. The 10mm combination wrench is the most used tool in the swap. I can't remember the exact size, but I think you will need a 21mm for the flywheel bolts. If you are in eastern PA or western NJ and need a hand, let me know and I will be glad to help you out.

Bryan

Comment

Thanks again

David

Comment

Working...
                              X