Rear drum wont turn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear drum wont turn.

My e-brake got looser and looser and the adjustment in the car wasn't enough to tighten it and the undercarriage adjustment was confusing to say the least. So, I replaced the shoes on both of the rear drums and the left side loosened up when the drum was replaced and adjusted nicely. The right side however wont loosen up and will heat up very quickly and very hot. Any one know a fix for the e-brake and/or the drum? I would appreciate it. Thanx.

are the drums worn out (esp. unevenly) if so i would try replacing them as well.
    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
    - Dennis Grant
    FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

I had an issue like that with my 88'. The parking brake adjuster at the top of the drum between the pads was binding up and sticking. I replace it with one from the junkyard and it fixed the issue. Its hard to know what is the issue without looking but check that out and the springs. Hope this helps, Ed.
      You got the stickers I got the parts!

Comment

Sounds like it isn't releasing. That would explain the "looser and looser". The parts at the back end can rust and cease up. The brake cylinder can get dirty and cease up. The cable can cease up. I'm afraid you'll have to play around with it and find out what's not working freely.

People probably already know about the clevis pin rusting up, a common complaint on emergency/parking brakes. It's exposed to the weather behind the brake drum. I had to take the brake arms off my '89 and work on them with solvent and a hammer in a vice once after they had rusted. By that time I hadn't used the parking brake for a few years and the inactivity had let the linkage rust. The parking brake linkage behind the brake drum should have an application of grease every couple of years to keep rust from building up.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
        X