Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hiccup" when I give it gas.

88 Festiva with a manny tranny.

I'm not used to carbs, I'm used to EFI with check engine lights!

When I give it gas from an idle, or low RPM, it'll hiccup and then pick itself up. Embarrassing when I stall it at a stop light.

I bought a carb rebuild kit, which I will hopefully get to this weekend. I didn't find any broken vacuum lines. Anything else to check for?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Probably the accelerator pump in the carb. A good rebuild should help.
    1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
    2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

I bought a rebuild kit.

Does the acclerator pump have a diaphragm like the old Fords or does it have one of the plunger type ones?

I didn't open the kit yet. Should it come with one, either way?

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Comment

If that fixes it let me know cause mine also does it but only once in a great while.

Comment

Bought a rebuild kit,( Edited due to language) if I have to take this carb apart by myself. I'll have my boss look at it with me.

Comment

same problem how do i fix

iv had my 88 festy parked for three years just took it for a drive it does the exact same thing i really need help plus i think i broke something cause my driver side wheel feels like it is shaking or loose or somthing please help now that ive let my truck go its my only transportation

Comment

Originally posted by manny2004 View Post
              iv had my 88 festy parked for three years just took it for a drive it does the exact same thing i really need help plus i think i broke something cause my driver side wheel feels like it is shaking or loose or something please help now that ive let my truck go its my only transportation
              Give your location; maybe someone knowledgeable can come over and look at it. That wheel thing worries me.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Also, don't forget to check the soft fuel lines between the pump and the carb. Someone, I can't remember who now, had various and assorted problems with their carb, ended up being the soft lines were breaking down internally, and sending bits of rubber through the carb.

Manny, if you jack up the front of the car, does the wheel wiggle? Or does it just feel wobbly when you drive it? There's a chance the rim is just bent. Depends on what you find when you put it in the air.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

just had carburator rebuilt by ford dealer, big money, didn't fix hic-up, turns out vaccuum advance leaks, both top and bottom. haven't replaced yet to see results.

Comment

I agree with alwklammer, in my case the problem was fixed with a vaccuum advance canister from a junkyard donor. I could not find a cheap supplier for a new one without buying the entire distro. Good luck!
                    I'm going to come at you like a spider monkey!
                    White 1993 L plus, 5 speed - 47k miles
                    * Aspire brake swap, 14" Miata wheels & Tein coliover suspension

Comment

Working...
                    X