Installing an Ampmeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing an Ampmeter

Here is the deal. I have a 1993 Festiva L. I've been burning the piss out of it for about a year now, and in the process have added a few aftermarket pieces that well, drain a little extra power. 2 x 75watt driving lights, 1000 watt Kenwood amplifier, and the usual things that pull way too much power.

I decided that it was far past time to add an ampmeter. So I drive down to the local parts store. I spend a total of $18.23 cdn and get a nice litle ampmeter and a 1 7/8" muffler clamp to mount it with. Once I get home and open the hood I have no idea where I should use to hook it up. I'm guessing the starter motor is off limits, but i can't really see anyother place.

I'm sure that i'm not the only person that has ever decided to add oe of these ingenous devices to a Festiva, so please...help me!!

With an ammeter, you have to plug the thing in series with the rest of the circuit, otherwise you're not getting a full reading of the juice your battery's putting out. Ideally, you should cut the cable running to your positive terminal and run those wires through your meter. Is it safe? No. Ammeters are actually a fire hazard in cars. That's why you don't see them equipped stock.
    GT

Comment

Fire hazard?

Couldn't you put a fuse or something in the line to prevent that?

Regards,

Tim :blah5:
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
      X