Replacing Stock Engine with one with less milage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Stock Engine with one with less milage

I have the opportunity to buy a stock motor for my festiva with 93,000 km on it, and it runs, for 125.00 CAD. My current motor had 204,000 km on it. This sounds like a no brainer, but what should I do?

History my festiva motor, was regular oil changes (time frame between changes make me think a lot of highway milage, in canada I think we should refer to it as kilage but thats a different story). I have a replaced distrubor cap/rotor/plugs/wire/basepan/exhaust system front-back/ball-joint/strut assembly and soon the timing belt.

I guess 125.00 is not bad for a engine either way (or is it),
    At least I get a whole set of parts that are interchangable(hopefully).

Has anyone had any problems putting in a used stock motor in... Any tips, suggestions? I'm sure there are articles here somewhere on it, but just tryin to cover my bases

i'd go with an aspire engine if you wanna stick with the b3, they fixed a design flaw that can cause the head to crack. also has roller rockers. you should be able to find an aspire engine cheap, they were a dime a dozen last time i looked, i had my pick of 7k-15k mile engines for round $150 us
    Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
    1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
    1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
    2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

do what i did ....
      go to sgi and keep asking and post ads in free papers for parts cars.
      after only 1 month i got a 91 with 77000 k from sgi for 300 can
      and a 93 with alot of k for 20 bucks.

but both are complete and in the last week i have fixed every little broken thing in my car.
      today i fixed a bad cv joint for 15 bucks instead of having to go and get a whole axel i just got a boot and a good one from the parts car.

the way i see it is in your case your car is still ok as 200 000 k is about half the life of a stock engine??

but for $125 just buy it and let it sit.

Comment

aspire moter

on my 1991 festiva i will replace it with an aspire moter. i can get one cut out of a junk car for about $125.00 with less than 100,000 on it and there are plenty of them out there. there is one junkyard that has a fenced in area where they keep the cars in which they know that the engine runs.
        they will start it up for you and you can hear it run. those engines are more expensive about $300.00 but at least you know what you are getting.

Comment

Hey people, I had no Idea that you could put an Aspire engine into a Festiva :shock: . How would that work, and what kind of modifications would I have to make if any? would I use the Aspire 5 speed transmission? I'm asking cause I found an Aspire in the junkyard that I'm getting the parts for my Aspire brake upgrade from with 25,000 miles on the engine . If all is well I'll snag the engine and trany from the Aspire for my 1989 Festiva L :twisted: . Thanks
          keeper of The Brave Little Toaster and Bizarre

Comment

Hey people, I had no Idea that you could put an Aspire engine into a Festiva
            It's virtually the same engine, with minor improvements. My only question for you is this: Is your Festiva carbed or FI? If it is carbed, you will get into re-running fuel lines and the fuel tank will (I believe) need to be changed. If your festy is FI, it's a no brainer, pretty much a tit for tat swap! Hope this helps, or atleast doesn't confuse too much

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Hey, My Festiva is carbed so would I use the Aspire fuel tank and lines :? ? I looked into it a bit and I thought the pulley system was different, and a few other things was different. Would the Trany fit or will I need to modify? would it be a worth wile Job or would I just be better off using a Festiva B3? Thanks
              keeper of The Brave Little Toaster and Bizarre

Comment

Working...
              X