No announcement yet.

lights dim down when i come to a stop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lights dim down when i come to a stop.

i got a 91 5spd festiva with 140k km on it, and i recently got my altrenator rebuilt from 50amps to 90amps, i am running 2 weak pathetic 300 watt mono amps to power my 10 inch subs and thats all i got. I checked the voltage on my battery and its like 14, even when the system is completely off the lights still dim down a bit when i'm just idling, but when i rev it up the lights brighten up. What else should i check?

battery?
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Comment

yeah, i checked the battery with a volt meter, and it just about 14...i'm gonna go and drive around for a bit and see if the battery charge changes after a long drive.

Comment

get a volt gage and check it while driving and at a stop

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

so here are my findings, i drove for about an hour on the highway today. when i got home i checks my voltage with the car parked and everything on (engine fan, high beams, sound system, heater....etc)...the voltage went down to an average of 12.15 or so, when i hit the accelerator it would fly back up to 14.4 or so....i dont recall this dimming ever happening prior to my alternator being rebuilt, but maybe with only 50 amps it wasnt noticable, but with 90 amps it is.....what do u guys think?

Comment

Loose belt??? Perhaps with a load ie high rpms, the tension is there, at low rpms it's not...Just a thought.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

hmm, yeah, could be the belt. I put the alternator in myself so i'm sure the tension was nice and snug, i'll check it tomorrow....thanks for the tip batstiva.

Comment

either loose belt or faulty rebuild...?
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I thought my belt was tight , I had to tighten it 2 more times , before it stopped squealing .

Do your light just dim real quick and recover , or stay dim till you add some RPM's

I have a 150 amp on the Caddy , the headlights will dim real quick when I tap the brakes at a idle , and it is a fairly new rebuild .
                  ------------------------------------------------
                  The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                  Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                  HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                  Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                  Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                  Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                  Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                  90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                  It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

well, mine doesnt squel or anything, but the lights stay dim until i give er some rpms.

Comment

Don't make the belt too tight or it will wear out the bearings in the alternator. I'd call the place where the alternator was rebuilt and ask them about it. They might want you to bring the car in to get the alternator tested. Or you can take the alternator off and take it to some auto parts store for a free, independent test.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

yeah, i'm just waiting for my buddy to come back from vacation cuz i got it done at his shop. Hopefully i can figure this out soon cuz its kinda bugging me.

Comment

put a cap in?

Comment

capacitor???....dont those only hold a small charge in case of power lag?????...when the car is off, the battery holds steady at 12V...i'm pretty sure thats normal, right?????

Comment

yup that sounds normal to me

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                              X