Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny grind

Just got a festiva 1992 lx

car drives mint but grinds a little into going into third and quite a bit going into 2and does this mean tranny rebuild or is there something else it could be

The syncros are worn in the tranny. If you know how to rev-match while shifting this will avoid the sounds. The problem
    will get worse and worse until the more you drive and eventually you will need to replace or rebuild but as long
    as you can put up with it and the car doesn't slip out of gear you'll be ok.
    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
    - Dennis Grant
    FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

mine grinds a bit going into 2nd as well... if your careful you should be able to minimize it.

I've got my eye out for a cheap 5spd because i'll be needing it sooner or later.

Changing your trany fluid if you haven't done it for a while may help it to last a little longer as well.
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

my tranny only grinds sometimes while shifting into reverse
        05 focus zx3 5spd 180k 2.5 inch mbrp exhaust , steeda sri and ford racing dynamic suspension

Comment

Like these guys said shift more gently, let the revs fall before sticking it into gear because the syncros aren't doing their job any more, if you can drive it smooth like that you will be a better driver and probably get better gas mileage too. good luck
          4-spd 1989 Festiva - carburated baby!

Comment

My first one ground in 2nd, and I put 40,000 miles on it.

Unless it's really bad I wouldn't worry about it.

@ fattie - reverse isn't syncronised. If you want to avoid it grinding, put it in a forward gear and then reverse.
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

I have been shifting smooth but when down shifting grinds hard and like i am taking it to the track this saturday to do some base testing before the swap and I will want to fix the grind before doing the swap so how could i fix the syncros

Comment

Originally posted by MaximumMatt
                I have been shifting smooth but when down shifting grinds hard and like i am taking it to the track this saturday to do some base testing before the swap and I will want to fix the grind before doing the swap so how could i fix the syncros
                Get another transmission? Probably your cheapest and easiest option.

Try synthetic ATX fluid. That should at least help reduce the grinding a bit.

Tim
                White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
                X