• Show
Clear All

• replacing head bolts?

In the past when I have changed head gaskets on other cars the manual
    always says to get new head bolts due to stretching. The festiva manual
    mentions nothing about this so I am asking anyone who has changed
    a head gasket if they reused the old bolts or bought new ones. If using
    old were there any problems with leakage? Thanks - Chris
    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
    - Dennis Grant
    FarNorthRacing.com

A lot of people (myself included) have reused the bolts with no problems.

I don't think you can even buy new ones.

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

the ones that must be replaced were designed that way, it susposedly prevents snapping bolts but i dont buy it lol. just the way the motor is designed
      2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
      1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
      1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
      http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

Replacing Head Bolts is a pretty recent thing since the problems encountered with Honda and Toyota head gaskets (A relatively big problem in the late 80's and early 90's). Those bolts may stretch and fatigue. I don't think Mazda engines suffer this malady. You can do a search in google but I think you will find that Mazda don't require Head Bolt replacement.

Comment

I replaced my head bolts with old ones and it was fine. Maybe for some more aggressive engine like one from a gsxr 1000 motorcycle.
          Dirty Bird Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lZFu6xRNk
          extreme unicycling with my Festiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSEpsjCKQ0

Comment

you DO NOT replace the stock head bolts. these are NOT torque to yield bolts. torque to yield bolts require you to torque to spec and THEN turn another 1/2 turn or so (depends on manufacture); this pulls the bolts to about 95+% of their limit. since you do not do this to B series motors, you can reuse these bolts.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys, I'll just used the old ones. I checked with Autozone and Advance, they cannot even
              get them. FMS has them, I think he said 80 for the set. - Chris
              Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
              - Dennis Grant
              FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Working...
              X