Festiva 5spd overhual help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva 5spd overhual help!

As I mentioned earlyer it was grinding like it didn't want to go. I droped the tranny today and took the cover off of it. WOW it was clean in there. The gear assemblys spin free. The bearings look good. I need info on removing the gear sets so I can inspect the bearings on the other side. Only thing I found of concern was a little gold looking ring that had triangle looking teeth on it. A syncro?? it looked busted. But could one broke syncro be causeing this grinding in all gears?? could the throwout bearing be causing it? here in a few I'll take the digi out and get some pics and post them. Thanks!

does any one have info on tranny rebuild in a manual or something? I need to know how to take the gear sets out and apart. I am pretty sure it is a syncro that broke and it is what is causing my problems! Any help would b greatly appreciated!

Comment

you may want to check the shift gate for cracks too.

Comment

All righty then! lol I spent most of the morning on it. The syncro was busted into around 5 peaces. oops. I rebuilt the gear assembly and have the tranny just about back together. I am haveing a little trouble with the shift rod, that holds the gear changer that goes on the gear set on the input shaft. Yes I know I don;t have the vocabulary to b doing this LOL. does any one have a pic that would show this? there are three beveled out nothces with the throwout bearing side down the notches should be down, as in that side of the case right? and how should the shift links be? PlEaSe a pic would be awsome!!!!!! Thank you! oh and btw the shift gates looked awsome every thing looked great except that syncro.

Comment

woohoo festy 5spd rebuild complete!!!!

Comment

yep, that shifter fork can be a pita to install. With those stupid springs & balls that press against it.

I used a magnetic pickup tool to hold the ball in place while I put the damn thing in place.

Still took some practice tho..but you'll even tually get it.
            Wil
            02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
            00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
            05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
            93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
            96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
            93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

I've never had one of them apart, but I do have an official Festiva MT manual I got on eBay awhile back, expecting to eventually need it. Let me know if photocopied pgs might be of interest.

For holding bearings in place when re-assembling, a trick I learned years ago from an old rebuilder is to use a glob of grease. I don't know if there are any non-caged bearings in a Festiva trans, but if so that might be a useful trick.

John

Comment

Working...
              X