Speedo gear removal, manual t/a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo gear removal, manual t/a

Any secrets to getting the bloody thing out of the transaxle? Cable off, bolt out, won't budge. Ain't room down there to get a Wunderbar on it. :wink: After swapping the halfshafts I hate to pay QuickyLube fifty bucks to top off the fluid. And it apparently needs it 'cuz I didn't lose any doing the axles. Raised each side as high as possible to minimize loss (and get my portly patoot under the Festy) but I expected some spillage. None, nada, zip. The normal fill level is well above the axle openings, I assume?

Pull HARD.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Tried that. Tried some gentle persuasion with a screwdriver between the tab and housing, too. No joy. Just pulls straight up, correct?

Comment

Maybe try rotating it a bit to break it free. It is aluminum and it is probably just corroded in there.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Don't pry under that tab or you can break it off real easy. Try prying or tapping on the side of the tab to try to make it rotate in the hole. Once you get it to rotate, take a big pair of slip joint pliers and grab it and pull up. If no oil ran out when you pulled the axles, you are REALLY low on oil.
          John
          You gonna race that thing?
          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Thanks folks, got it. A little tapping, a few therapeutic doses of Old Overcoat (cold out there tonight) and it came out. On the downside, two quarts of fluid didn't quite hit the low mark. I haven't put many miles on it, no way of knowing about the previous owner(s). Shifts fine, no evil noises, but I think looking for a replacement may be wise. And, anyone know the specs of that 10mm retainer bolt offhand? Seems to have been eaten by the driveway. Again, many thanks.

Comment

I broke my tab off checking mine, but the way the tab it broke it still holds in it place. Good thing I checked it when I did..... It was low and unless I'm mistaken that mercon doesn't lose it's color someone has put gear oil in to it.

As for your bolt, just take a 10mm off somewhere else and see if the threads match, if they do find a nut that fits that bolt and then find a bolt that fits the nut around the same length (1 may 1.5 in) as the one that came out of.

I could send you one, every time I take something apart I always got bolts left over

Comment

Working...
              X