Strut Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut Question

Hello there...on the rears of a 91 Festy , standard...no swap,the lower bolt that holds the strut in place. Is it through the strut and into a nut that is welded onto the inside of the swingarm?
    Problem I have is that when I went to loosen the bolt the head just snapped off. I want to make sure it is not going to just fall out until I have the time to deal with it. I thought I was goning to have a quick change and now this...sheeeesh!
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

You should be ok. But hope it falls out because actually getting it out is a pain. You need to cut the strut away. Cut the strut end off, cut the rubber off then cut 1/2 the bolt off. Then remove with vise grips. What happens is the bolt rusts solid with the inner sleeve in the strut end and fuses. When you remove the bolt the head just snaps off.

Torches will help this job.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

You must have read my mind....I planned to go exactley what you just described but I wanted to get some feedback first....thanks Matt.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

It may be easier to do the aspire brake swap. Than to mess with that old axle. Anyone who is going to keep their festiva needs the aspire brakes.

Comment

Working...
        X