steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering wheel

i was just curious as how to fix the steering wheel it is not straight. the car seems to track straight let go of the wheel and it goes straight but the steering wheel is crooked. would an alighnment fix this? or is it something else? i had another festiva and it had the same problem but its starting to anoy me. is a steering wheel puller needed?

Make sure the wheels are straight before you do this.

Undo the bolt holding it on, and then yank/pull the wheel from side to side until it comes off, then put it back on straight.
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

why does this happen? is there no splines holding the wheel to the shaft?

Comment

No clue why it happens. Maybe when you got the car aligned they didn't align the steering wheel?

There are splines on the steering wheel shaft. Moving it over a spline or 2 will fix the problem.
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

It's something that should have been dealt with when the last alignment was done. Looks like they got a junior staffer to handle it.

Comment

Lazy Techs, I took my festy to a Local Firestone, They said they didn't align steering wheels when doing
            alignments. If it wasn't straight it was your problem. I figured i would just turn the wheel a spline or so
            but then their equipment couldn't handle my 12" wheels (too small). I have since ordered a set of
            LongAcre Racing Toe Plates and scratched alignments of the already very small list of things I actually
            pay others to do. - Chris
            Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
            - Dennis Grant
            FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

My wheel has been off for sometime , when I installed my intermittent wipers today , I moved the steering wheel over a few splines , while it was off .

I pulled onto the street and went forward and back to make sure the car was straight , while the wheel was just on the spline , no nut .

Then I took it off and slid it on where the wheel was straight .
              ------------------------------------------------
              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

There ya go....heads up thinking there...kill two birds with one stone.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                X