hot wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot wheel bearings

hey guys, i've noticed my rear, passenger side hub getting really hot after i drive. earlier this year i burned the heck out of that same wheel. i ended up needing a new spindle and and new bearings.

So i took out the bearings and regreased them with high temperature bearing grease, and they still are getting hot. Are they supposed to get hot?????

maybe the bearings where not torqued right. (there to tight) the way i torqued them is tighted the nut tightly nothing monsterous i think its recomeded like 22 ftlbs, then slowly back the nut off a 1/4 and spin the tire where it almost spins on its own, like you give it a push and it almost does a full rotation. this is what i have done i have read other procedures this has worked on my mustang and no issued with the festiva yet. if you search "wheel bearings" you can find other post regarding this subject. make sure you clean them real good use break clean and then repack.

Comment

Are you sure it is the wheel bearings and not the brake hanging up on that side?

Also...this should probably be moved to the repair section.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

well, my brakes arent hot...I can touch them no prob. And the wheel does spin on its own. Actually, when i spin it by hand i get about 3 or 4 rotations. I searched for wheel bearing stuff on here, and i didnt find anything to adress my perticualr situation, thats why i posted, and since bearings have to do with wheels i figured i'd post under here... :?

Comment

I do not understand how you are touching the brakes with the hub on. If you are touching them after pulling the hub, the time it takes to get it off, they have time to cool enough to touch them.
          On the other hand, if you can spin the wheel and it turns freely then I doubt the brakes are hanging up. Did you check and make sure that the spindle is not bemt. the mounts or anything. Then the torque on the bearings needs to be right...not to loose either.
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

i'm touching the drums through my rims, and the tip of the spindle sticks out when i pop the dust cap. since the bearings are right there, thats how i know its hot bearings. And the spindle is brand new from the dealer (about 4 months), and i cleaned it off and it was straight. I mean i know bearings get hot when they move...especially after an hour of driving, but i just wannt know how hot they are supposed to get before blowing up, cuz i dont feel like going through that again...

Comment

well if they are all about the same then no worries I would say...but if there is a noticable differance between the 2 sides then you need to find the problem.
              I know you said it was new but I am talking about how it actually mounts up. Maybe that is bent or tweaked and putting strees on the wheel bearings.
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

I just bought a car that had fried the rear wheel bearing. I believe somebody had torqued the nut too tight. I usually tighten the nut until the washer is tight and leave it there. BTW-- how much is a new spindle at the dealership?
                88L 328,000 winter daily driver
                93L 167,000 summer daily driver (AC)
                90LX 374,000 swap candidate
                88LX black- parts
                89LX burgundy-parts
                91L red-parts

Someday my ship will come in. With my luck, I'll be at the airport. (aviation machinist)

Comment

man, stay away from the dealer if u can....they will murder you. If i remember correctly it cost me $140 cdn....i think that was it....i'll double check though, cuz i could be getting it confused with some other parts....

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt
                    well if they are all about the same then no worries I would say...but if there is a noticable differance between the 2 sides then you need to find the problem.
                    I know you said it was new but I am talking about how it actually mounts up. Maybe that is bent or tweaked and putting strees on the wheel bearings.
                    hmmm....i gotta check that..thanks man

Comment

Your lucky if you can even get new spindles any more, the parts for festiva's are starting to be discontinued all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Gforcefd
                        Your lucky if you can even get new spindles any more, the parts for festiva's are starting to be discontinued all over the place.
                        thats when u know ur car is getting old...or do an aspire swap...or buy a honda civic (boooooo)...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jcomnislash
                          thats when u know ur car is getting old...or do an aspire swap...or buy a honda civic (boooooo)...lol
                          You don't want to get banned do you? Mentioning Honda's in here, how wrong :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jcomnislash
                            You don't want to get banned do you? Mentioning Honda's in here, how wrong :-)

lol....notice the long "booooo" after that...lol

Comment

Working...
                            X