Who has no spark problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has no spark problems?

Ok, who has a no spark problem they can't repair?

Please, post a reply with year of car, type of engine and transmission type.

Seems like all of the no start problems have been with automatic cars.

David

Nope mine was a 5spd, 91 1.3. And I never found the problem, my guess was a shorted wire.

Comment

no SPARK

I just actually logged in to post my no start issues...

I was driving the other day and it felt like I was running out of gas (actually did barely a week before). I managed to sputter off the freeway and from there, the car would start up but not run long enough to get moving. Now it only cranks.

I have a 1990 Fuel Injected, 5speed.

I did the cup test to make sure I was getting fuel (it is making it past the fuel filter-about a half pint after turning over the starter for just a few seconds).

Further, I test lighted the coil wire which is not getting power with the key in any position-including start.

There is power going into the ignition coil but when I replaced it with a new one, it did not solve the issue. I returned the coil, put the old one back in, and replaced the ignition control module, which also did nothing.

Of the three wires that come out of the distributor, one tests positive, one negative, and one has no polarity. it is my assumption that this wire has a load only when the engine is running...

I have replaced the fusible links within the last couple months as well...

I don't, 100 percent know what I'm doing, but I'm trying to figure things out... NOT a mechanic by any means.

Ideas anyone?!?!

BEn

Tempe, AZ

Comment

Check the continuity of the distributor ground wire . I had a 1990 festiva that lost its spark and after many hours of work I finally found that the ground wire was broken in the loom as it goes over the fan shroud.

Comment

I have continuity from the ground and the power wires that go into the distributor.

This leads me to believe (rightfully?) that it should be a problem in the distributor which is preventing a signal from being sent to the Ignition control module, via the third wire, and on to the coil.

Today I picked up a very new looking cap and rotor along with the "stater" (ignition pickup coil?) piece from a salvage yard. I replaced them individually and collevtivly with no change in symptoms.

I am starting to wonder though if gas is actually getting into the cylinders.

When I pull a plug after I've cranked on it a bit, they do not overwhelmingly smell of gas. Is there somthing that may keep the engine from sparking AND fuel from reaching the cylinders?!?! I know fuel is reaching the rail and there is definately no spark.

Thanks!!

BEn

Comment

Mine was a 92 - BP Engine with Festiva 5-speed tranny

Traced it down to a "wiring problem" and I rewired the entire engine bay and behind the dash area...
            Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Working...
            X