No announcement yet.

Speedo Cable lube, what shoud I use?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Cable lube, what shoud I use?...

Any one have any suggestions on what lube to use on the speedo cable, mines making some noise around 50mph? Also should I go from the tranny side or the speedo side?

Thanks.
    Those who think drifting through life is easy, never tried it in an FWD.

I guess Ill just use some white lithium.

Comment

I think the spray silicon is what people use.

I'd be willing to wager getting it off at the tranny side is easier.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

speedo lube response

If you remove the cable at the transmission you can then pull the entire cable out of the tube and lube the whole thing.There is no phisical connection at the speedometer, the cable just slides up and into place when you slide the cable through the tube.

Krankendil (Dayton, Ohio)

Comment

Sounds good Ill try that this weekend!

Comment

Graphite lube - the dry powder like for locks - is the traditional lube for speedo cables. Liquid lubes just run down the cable, and stiffer stuff runs the risk of straining the cable.

You can do the whole thing in just a few min. Disconnect at the trans, get the cable up above the motor and pull the cable out from the housing. Then put some graphite between two extended fingers and run the cable back into the housing. Re-connect and you're done!

John

Comment

Situation #1: Spay Lube (More Work)

Go down to the tranny, it will be a hell of a lot easier to remove the cable, than if you were try to remove the gauge cluster. Once it is removed from the tranny, go ahead and take the gauge cluster out, 5 screws on the trim piece, and then 4 more to take the cluster out. Then all you have to do is pull off the two big pigtail harnesses, just push down on the tab and they will come off really easy. After that, just unclip the speedo cable, and try to lube it from the gauge end, just because of the laws of gravity. Then put it all back together, and go for a good quiet burn around the neighbourhood.

Situation #2: Bulk Lithium Grease (Less Work)

You won't have to pull out the gauge cluster. Just unhook the speedo cable from the tranny, and pull the inside out of the sheath, lube it up, and carefully stick it back up the sheath, and then just reattach the cable to the tranny.

Comment

Working...
              X