Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C troubles / cooling fan/ fuse

Hey,
    first of all my fan won't engage when it needs to cool the engine down.....
    I was trying to recharge my A/C and noticed the "cooling fan" fuse blown. So I got a new one and noticed a fuse was blown. So I got the "light up if blown" fuses. The fuse lights up (showing its blown) only when the engine temp goes up or I turn on the A/c. I can hear the engine getting put under load when I turn the A/c on so I know the compresser is turning on. But the fuse only lights up when the fan should kick in and when the A/C is turned on.... Any ideas where I should begin to look?

The little light for the A/C on the dash lights up when I hit the button.....
    its a 89 auto
    Proud owner of Casper

Do you have 1 fan or 2 behind the rad/condenser. If only 1, does the fan turn freely and does it come on when the ac is off but the engine gets hot.
    Blue 1989 Festiva L 1.3 carb 160K+, Aspire 5spd, Aspire swap, Tach, Added A/C, Intermittent wipers.
    Aqua 1991 Festiva L 1.3 FI 200K+, 5spd, Aspire swap, tach, Intermittent wipers.
    Green 1995 Aspire 1.3 FI 95K (RIP Saved my 18yo sons life)

Comment

there is just one fan...
      I can turn it by hand so it turns freely. But the fan does not turn on at all. A/C on or not....
      Proud owner of Casper

Comment

There is a temp switch that goes into the side of the thermostat housing. If you remove the wire to it and turn the key on...the fan should run until the key is turned off. If it does not then I would replace that switch and see what happens from there.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I figured it out.
          I thought I could turn the fan freely. But, it does get hung up just alittle bit. Enough that it stopped teh fan I suppose and blew the fuse. Now the cooling fan works and the A/C.
          THanks
          Proud owner of Casper

Comment

Working...
          X