Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing what you can find out when you search for it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing what you can find out when you search for it!

Originally had about four or five questions. After looking around in the search function, am down to one basically theoretical question.

Which is, we know that larger tires cause the speedometer to be off, does anyone have any idea whether larger tires affect the accuracy of the odometer? Just kind of wondering. Yeah, I know, I need a new hobby. :dontknow:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

I used this calculator. Just put in the stock festiva tires and what you are using and it tells the % diiference.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

So in my case, it's a difference of 50 revolutions per mile. Interesting.... :glasses7:

Comment

I figure because both my Festivas came with 155-12 tires on them they probably had many miles with this larger size. I also figure my cars have at least 2000 miles more than what the odo shows due to probably half their life running on larger than stock (stock=145/80-12 or 165/70-12) tires.

The speedo runs the odo, so both are affected.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I kind of suck at math, but if I ran the number correctly, my car actually has about 6500 miles more than the odometer shows. :shock:

I assume I am figuring this correctly, but it looks like every 35 miles, my odometer is short 1 mile. Damn, theoretical questions have the damndest answers. :sign3:

Comment

so next time you buy a new car and are worried about resale just put bigger tires on it heh....save ya the trouble of rolling back the odometer...er not that i would ever do that. kinda a related story, i have walmart tires on my festy, and they wore out really fast, i had the tire warranty on em so when i took it in my new tires would be prorated. well i had also changed out the gauge cluster, my festiva had 197,000 miles on it when i had the tires put on and my cluster read 89,000 miles when i took it back in...i had those tire and lube guys confused!
            Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
            1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
            1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
            2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Guess this means that my little car is actually working on 237,000 miles.
              Guess when you hit that kind of miles, resale value is not really a concern. :roll:

Comment

Working...
              X