Overheating problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating problem

Okay I have a problem with over heating. I can hear it bubbling sometimes and I usually drive just straight to work which is about 8 miles. The temp gauge doesn't work since the last owner. I took a look at the temp guage and it's no existent, It just has a plug. So I'm going to pick up a temp sensor tomorrow. That's not the problem though. The car overheats when I drive it to work when it's hot outside, like it's been recently. The fan works fine since the last person who had it wired it to turn on when the key is on. COuld it be the thermostat?

Black '89 Ford Festiva L with 4 Speed Manual Transmission

Assumed you checked to see if you are low on coolant?

Pu241
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

yeah I checked the coolant level and it was fine

Comment

could be sticky thermostat or completely plugged....water pump possibly
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Okay well I'm going to try the thermostat first. I bought one today. It was the 195 degree one. Is that the right temp for the car? Should I have gotten a lower temp? I looked at autozone and they said 192 was the OE temp. Should I take the one I bought from advance and get the 192 one or would it be better to get a lower one like 180 degrees?

Comment

you will want the 195 when winter hits...if everything is ok with car then the 195 will be fine
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

remember to install it right..the small hole on the thermostate goes in at the 12:00 position

Comment

To make sure you have corrected the problem!
                Check the original thermostat to make sure it was not opening when it should have!
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I'm having a problem removing the thermostat housing since one of the other bolts are out of reach and sort of behind the distributor. I really don't have that much mechanic experience and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to remove the distributor and how to do it. I don't want to end up making my car not start.

Comment

dont touch the distro, you need an extention, ratchet, and u-joint adapter for your socket. it'll come right off.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I use gear wrenches. God I love those things.

The first time I did the tstat I didn't have one or a u-joint. It took about an hour and a half. Now with the new gear wrenches it might take 20 to 30 minutes.

Be careful when you reinstall. If the thermostat falls down a little bit and gets pinched between the block and the thermostat housing....it will break the housing.
                      www.dantheoilman.com
                      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

okay one last question. When I check the old thermostat, I heard to just stick it in a pot of boiling water. How much should the thermostat open after the water starts boiling? When I look at the thermostat when i take it out of the boiling water it's maybe open 1/8 of an inch or maybe less.

Comment

boil water on the stove. put the thermostat in the water. when it opens put a piece of string or something in the thermostat and let it cool off to close on the string. get a thermometer and put it in the water. let water cool. reheat water while holding thermostat by string in the water while watching thermometer at the same time. observe at what temperature the thermostat lets go of the string. you will now know at what temperature your thermostat opens at.
                          1993 5 speed FI. 2-5/8" tach, short throw, muffler delete. SOLD
                          1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
                          2000 Trans Am 6 speed
                          1997 HD 1200 sportster
                          1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

1/8" a bit too little, should be closer to 1/4" but it's opening anyway so that isn't causing your overheat problem. check your pressure cap!!!
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                            X