brake line nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake line nut

great... i completely stripped one of the nuts on the end of the hardline at the rear of my car. where the rubber line connects to the hard line. what can i do?
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

vise grips....then replace by getting new fittings and flaring the line then adding in a short piece to take up what you cut off.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

For future knowledge flare nut wrenches are very worth the cost.

Black '89 Ford Festiva L with 4 Speed Manual Transmission

Comment

^^yes...lines wrenches are great....and the only way to go wjem it comes to flare fittings
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

i have allways used vise grips to break the nut and srcew loose
          ---------------------------------------------------
          The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
          ---------------------------------------------------
          BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Sounds like you have to cut off the end of the hard line, put on a new nut, flare the end, and reconnect it. Don't forget to slide the nut on before flaring the line. Brake line flaring tools can be borrowed for free from auto parts stores. It's the most popular tool they lend out. As for the new nut, they can be hard to find and surprisingly expensive for a tiny brass nut. Check the cost of precut brake line because you can get the line with nuts on both ends for little more than the cost of one nut by itself. The flare wrench is also a good idea. If you shop around you will find the price of these little wrenches varies by quite a lot. I got mine at a builder's supply store at half the price at a national hardware discount chain.

If you want to read more about changing brake line look at my writeup of my experience doing it on my '89 as a complete novice in www.ag384bn.bravehost.com/Braketips.htm . It has nut, wrench, and line specs. Brake line fittings come in USA, European metric, and Asian metric. You need Asian metric. Don't just ask for metric.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

thanks for the tips guys. i managed to maul it off with vice grips, but now i definitely need to put a new nut on the end. Ill have to try find the tool and a new nut. I WAS using a flare nut wrench... thats how bad it was!

Thats an excellent write up WmWatt. You should add that in the articles section.
              89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
              RIP 90LX

Comment

darn , it must have been really bad

Black '89 Ford Festiva L with 4 Speed Manual Transmission

Comment

Working...
                X