AC Recharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Recharge

My new festiva has A/C but I believe it needs to be recharged, anyone know what chemical goes in this, or do all A/C systems use the same freon? I know there was some talk about the chemical was changed some years back not sure.

If your unit wasn't changed to 134A you might want to consider it, as R12 is expensive and hard to come by.
    And if you have a leak with the 134A you can pretty much replace it on your own.
    Not so with R12, believe it is illegal for unlicensed persons in U.S. to "dispense" R12, per Montreal Protocol!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I believe you are right, what do I have to do to change from one to the other, take it to a dealer and have it sucked out? And replaced with the other?

Comment

yup, anyone who's equipted for it will take any leftover R12 for free. then have the system vacuumed for at least 30 min and then vac tested for 5 min minimum (it needs to hold whatever vacuum that was put in it for the entire 5 min, if it can't, you have a leak) then have the system charged w/ oil and then the R-134A. that's how it's done properly.

BTW, i'm licensed in case you were wondering.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

check your Pm's festy since I want this done right.

Comment

the problem with R-134A is that per pound circulated, it absorbs about 20% less heat than R-12. in 1994 when most or all new cars were manufactured with R-134A systems, the components used to circulate that refridgerant ( compressor, evap, condensor ) were designed to make up for that lack of efficiency usually by increasing the sizes of those components and/or flow rate of the refridgerant. unless you upgrade the components in a car that originally used R-12, you will notice a lack of cooling if you only substitute R-12 for R-134A. i have listened to many complaints about the disatisfaction of people who had or did the conversion when R-12 became too expensive or impossible to obtain. a better option would be to use one of the newer replacements that have become available lately. some of these have even more heat absorbing capacity than R-12 and do not require the replacement of oils and o-rings or a license to purchase. usually though you have to buy an adapter fitting and can valve to access an older R-12 system. locally, i have used a product called Enviro-Safe with excellent result. it even works with what R-12 might be still in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ
              the problem with R-134A is that per pound circulated, it absorbs about 20% less heat than R-12. in 1994 when most or all new cars were manufactured with R-134A systems, the components used to circulate that refridgerant ( compressor, evap, condensor ) were designed to make up for that lack of efficiency usually by increasing the sizes of those components and/or flow rate of the refridgerant. unless you upgrade the components in a car that originally used R-12, you will notice a lack of cooling if you only substitute R-12 for R-134A. i have listened to many complaints about the disatisfaction of people who had or did the conversion when R-12 became too expensive or impossible to obtain. a better option would be to use one of the newer replacements that have become available lately. some of these have even more heat absorbing capacity than R-12 and do not require the replacement of oils and o-rings or a license to purchase. usually though you have to buy an adapter fitting and can valve to access an older R-12 system. locally, i have used a product called Enviro-Safe with excellent result. it even works with what R-12 might be still in the system.
              How long have you been running the enviro-safe? I have heard such mixed opinions about the R-12 alternatives such as freeze 12 etc... I have heard everything from lack of cooling to compressors locking up so I was just curious how long it has been running for you.

Comment

i've had retrofited r-12 systems blowing 40* air with r-134, i doubt that in a cabin the size of a festiva, anyone could notice a differance, given that the size of our evaporators are very close to the size of ones used in minivans.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

inspect the hoses for leaks because like my mechanic told me i am charged money if it leaks or not meaning if it leaks it was a waste of money.

Comment

i have air conditioning on my 93 and i have converted it to 134 and it keeps cool.

Comment

What did it cost you, and what problems did you have Miami man

Comment

I put a can of freeze 12 in last month. The ac was cold. Have not used it much. At $7 a can I can afford to go thru several cans until I rebuild the system.

David

Comment

10 bucks for coversion kit, 20.00 for recharge kit i got the pistol grip one and freon. about 45 dollars total investment.

Comment

how did you remove the old freon and pull the system into a vacuum?

Comment

Ive converted three festys to 134 and never noticed any difference in the cooling.
                              sigpic
                              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                              X