Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to replace front wheel bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to replace front wheel bearings?

i've read through all the posts that i could find on changing the front wheel bearings, and all i've learned so far is that its not a walk in the park like the rear ones. I did the rear ones and they have come out better then what the dumb mechanics have done in the past. Recently i went to change my front right bearing for the third time within a year. So i'm getting really pissed off at wasting money on this, so i wanna just do it myself.

So i need to know ALL the things i need (tools, and whatever else). I read u need a press...what kind? Would it be a table press like the one u can use to place the bearing tracks in the back drums? And if anyone has a successful step by step guide on how to do this that would be super helpful too, everything i've read so far is kinda vague and incomplete.

If anyone knows, then please help me out cuz I've already spent over $1000 on bearing repairs within the last year and i dont need to be throwing money away like this.

thanks

man....if you took it somewhere and they have went 3 times in the last year I would say they are doing something wrong and need to fix it under warranty for you
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

yeah, i've done that...they fix it the first time u bring it back, but then they cancel the warrenty, so if u come back the 2nd time u gotta pay for everything again...it's happend the last 2 times...i decided to go to Canadian Tire (big chain store in canada) and do it, but the bearings are busted after only 4 weeks, now i'm going there on monday and complaining...AGAIN...i swear all mechanics in the Greater Toronto Area are a bunch of doorknobs...

Comment

if they are working on it and it breaks that soon after it was worked on...I do not care what they said...they would be fixing it or I would be talking to someone about taking other action. How can you cancel a warranty when the work you do is the problem?
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

you need to take it to the dealership, they need to fit new shims between the bearings and press it all together, I doubt the shop your going to is using new shims, there probibly using the old ones

Comment

I don't know how they can cancel a warrenty. I would think they would lose in court.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

^^ thats what I was thinking....I would talk to someone about the way they are handling it and the money you are out from their screw up.
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

seriously man, i talked with the owner of the first place i went too and he said that they cant keep warrenting parts and labour like that, I was serisouly pissed cuz my car was not drivable so i had no choice but to get it fixed...thats why i went to a more commercialized place now...but still the quality of their work seems to be even worse. the spindle nut is destroyed on that side, and i dont think they even locked it properly...either way...that shim thing between the bearings seems to be an issue with a lot of the bearing problems around here...but even a ford dealer cant do that much since they dont have access to different size shims anymore, i called them and they said those parts dont exist. I read some people dont even use the shims/spacers and they have driven their cars for like 25000 miles and they are fine.

EIther way, I'm sick of dealing with stupid no name mechanics...at least these guy write their warrentys down...although they are only for 100 days...but o well.

but i'm still wanting to know if u guys have done it urselves...how u did it...at this point, i'm the only trustworthy mechanic i know...lol

Comment

I would demand a refund if they won't honer the warrenty.
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

yeah...i'm going there bright and early on monday to have a chat with these guys and y their work sucks so much...and also i'm gonna stay in the shop and watch what the heck the mechanic is doing, cuz obviously he needs help...lol...i know bearings go once in a while, but this is just stupid.

Comment

ummmmm....of course they tell you they can not keep replacing the bearings or eating the labor. They don't want to be responsible....even though they are. They figure if they give you eneough hassle they will get rid of you.
                      Now on fixing the problem....it may be easier to find a good hub at the JY and just install it. I have done the bearing change using a sacrificial socket (for make shift pressing/beating). It canbe down....but is a real PITA!
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      I will sleep when I die!

Comment

the jy hub is a last resort cuz that will take a while to find and there arent any jy that have ne festy's around here. It took like 2 months to find a rear view mirror for mine and i had to order it from the other side of the country almost (live in canada).

so how big of a socket would i be needing to beat those things outta there and back in again? o, and btw what size is the front spindle nut? ( i can get cheap sockets at one of those used tools places)...how did urs turn out, is it lasting u, and what did u do about that shim/spacer thingy?....sorry i have so many questions, but since u did it b4, u can save me a few trials and errors.

Comment

Well it has been a while....it is holding up ok but I am going to do the aspire swa[p as soon as I can...then there will be no more bearing problems...lol
                          As far as the sockets... I am unsure. I just used one that was just smaller then the portion that needed ro be removed. I do not remember what the actual spindle nut size is either. I just reached into my bag and pulled out one that fit....lol...I am sorry but I am terrible when it somes to remembering sizes and such. I kinda just start ripping stuff apart and then put it back together without giving it a second thought.
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          I will sleep when I die!

Comment

a 1 1/8 inch socket will fit. i think the metric size is 29 mm.
                            1960 willys pickup
                            1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                            1989 festiva
                            1990 festiva for parts
                            1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt
                              Well it has been a while....it is holding up ok but I am going to do the aspire swa[p as soon as I can...then there will be no more bearing problems...lol
                              As far as the sockets... I am unsure. I just used one that was just smaller then the portion that needed ro be removed. I do not remember what the actual spindle nut size is either. I just reached into my bag and pulled out one that fit....lol...I am sorry but I am terrible when it somes to remembering sizes and such. I kinda just start ripping stuff apart and then put it back together without giving it a second thought.
                              lol...yeah, i have found someone that will sell me a swap with rims and stuff for $300, but i have to wait till the end of summer cuz he needs the car till then, and its been sitting so it'll need new pads, rotors, drums and stuff....i hope he doesnt back out on me, cuz i will easily give em another $300 just to help me install it.

Comment

Working...
                              X