Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibration solution!

the f... vibration is ...ha ha!
    i found the solution to solve the 70 shakes.
    you just have to move engine-tranny to the right side...
    you have to elongate the holes in the body on the engine support about .25 in and loose all trans mount and sub frame then push tranny on right side and tight all bolt.

the problem is solved!!!

http://www.fordfestiva.com/multimediaandfun/gallery/yvan/yvan's_bp_turbo_swap.htm

i fount it yesterday when i repair my tranny (slush box), when i remove axles...the left one have only .5 in of clearance and the right one have .9 in. i center then power-train and all OK (transmission too...i stripped all teeth in the carrier where the main shaft enter the clutch pack...lol)
    now ready to rock n roll with my new bf drag ta (205-50r14) :twisted:

Just to get your message straight...

Each of us who has the "70 shakes" should take off each side axleshaft and carefully measure the clearance...

Yvan wrote:

I found it yesterday when i repaired my tranny (slush box), when i removed axles...the left one have only .5 in of clearance and the right one have .9 in.
    Clearance from what? Where do we measure this clearance at?

I can only think of the knuckles, but what if their positioning is not perfectly matched either? Are there perfectly symmetrical points on both sides to measure this at?

(Sorry if I don't get it.)

Could some cars be misaligned the other way, with the engine/tranny too far to the right? Could it be an individual thing too?

Not to be negative, but so far I'd say you have a "theory." You have fixed your car but now we need to test this theory on a few others. I'd say if it works on at least two or three more cars, it's pretty solid.

You also have an Aspire. It may have some difference, maybe not.

Forgive me for questioning you. I'm not trying to be negative. Just precise! Plus, I don't have nearly your experience and knowledge, so there may be something obvious about this I would miss.

It does sound like you've solved it, though. I have faith in you!

Thanks Yvan,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

measurement

remove the nut from axle on center of hub and push it...measure the distance the axle move...not too complicated??? you d ont have to remove the wheel because you need to measure the distance at normal running level. aspire and festy have the same trouble but festy are more prone to this vibration . move engine and tranny the side you have the more clearance(right side for mine).

http://www.fordfestiva.com/multimediaandfun/gallery/yvan/yvan's_bp_turbo_swap.htm

Comment

Okay. Thanks Yvan, that makes more sense now.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
        X