how do I get half shaft out??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I get half shaft out??

Do I have to remove steering knuckle? and if I do is the strut under pressure and do I need to worry about that thing flying out at me?
    Thanks for any help

You have to remove the sway bar from the bottom of the hub, don't touch the tie rod end or you will mess up your alignment. Nothing will fly out, but it is a pain.

Comment

yes it is a pain. i paid my garage down the street $50.00 cash to remove the old one and put in the rebuilt one that i had. had me in and out in 30 minuts

Comment

the way i do mine is i take out the 2 bolts that connect the shock to the knuckle and take the tie rod end out of the hole. then just pull the knuckle down and towards the rear of the car and you should be able to get the axle out.
        1993 5 speed FI. 2-5/8" tach, short throw, muffler delete. SOLD
        1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
        2000 Trans Am 6 speed
        1997 HD 1200 sportster
        1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

Ive never removed the sway bar from the control arm or the strut bolts from the steering knuckle. I remove the sway bar mounting brackets up front and then knock the tie rod out. It wont mess up you alignment unless you adjust the tie rod end in or out.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

^^What he said. That's how I did mine, and took me about 2 hours to do both sides. Just remember to check and fill tranmission fluid when done.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

That is how the book says, but you can ruin the tie rod bushing pulling it out, that is why I just pull out the steering knuckle

Comment

Just drive something into the tie rod end clamp to spread the clamp out a little and it will come right out.
                sigpic
                The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
                X