Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

overheating problem. (not same person as other OH question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating problem. (not same person as other OH question)

my newest festiva tends to get kinda warmish when i run the a/c while driving at low speeds, such as in traffic or the like. i know the b3 doesnt get very hot when running (or at least my first 2 didnt). i was wondering if anyone knew what could possibly be the problem? i just flushed the cooling system today (yes, i had the heater on) and that didnt help my problem any. im thinkin the thermostat might not be opening completely so i might take that out tomorrow and see how that goes. will the housing still seal to the block without the thermostat in there? you can also hear the coolant bubbling into the overflow tank.
    1993 5 speed FI. 2-5/8" tach, short throw, muffler delete. SOLD
    1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
    2000 Trans Am 6 speed
    1997 HD 1200 sportster
    1986 Honda Rebel 250

I'm betting on your fan not working!
    Jumper you fan motor direct to battery and see if it works.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

mine was getting hot cause the head gasket was gone or going out
      92 white festiva stock

Comment

you can hear the fan when you turn the key on. so i ruled that out but i dont know if its coming on when the car is running. the temp goes back down when you turn the a/c off. i hope the head gasket isnt going.
        1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
        2000 Trans Am 6 speed
        1997 HD 1200 sportster
        1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

okay i took the thermostat out today and now you cannot hear the bubbling noise and the upper radiator hose has pressure on it when you turn the engine off. but the engine still heats up too much. turning the a/c off didnt help the temp much also. any ideas? radiator cap maybe? there was a small leak yesterday on the front of the engine so the water pump could be going
          2000 Trans Am 6 speed
          1997 HD 1200 sportster
          1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fastiva
            you can hear the fan when you turn the key on. so i ruled that out but i dont know if its coming on when the car is running.
            yeah, that might be the issue!
            When its hot can you pull over and pop the hood and see if the fan is running?
            Actually, even with the engine running and hood down at idle, I can here my fan come one!

When you say, "you can hear the fan when you turn the key on", is this when you first start
            the engine or after it is "hot" and you have shut off the engine then moved the key to the "on" position?
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

when you first turn the key on when its cold or hot
              2000 Trans Am 6 speed
              1997 HD 1200 sportster
              1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fastiva
                okay i took the thermostat out today and now you cannot hear the bubbling noise and the upper radiator hose has pressure on it when you turn the engine off. but the engine still heats up too much. turning the a/c off didnt help the temp much also. any ideas? radiator cap maybe? there was a small leak yesterday on the front of the engine so the water pump could be going
                Without a thermostat and in warm weather your temp is going to be higher than normal. The whole idea of the thermostat closing an opening is to let the radiator cool the coolant mixture and cycle it back to the engine. Without a T-stat you are constantly cycling the coolant so it never has a change to cool like it should.

Comment

Originally posted by mheym56820
                  Without a thermostat and in warm weather your temp is going to be higher than normal. The whole idea of the thermostat closing an opening is to let the radiator cool the coolant mixture and cycle it back to the engine. Without a T-stat you are constantly cycling the coolant so it never has a change to cool like it should.
                  No... :roll:

Comment

Working...
                  X