Manual trans repair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual trans repair question

Has anyone here ever split open their tranny case to repair the seal between the two halves, and if so, is it a matter of simply splitting the case halves, or do you need to remove all the shifter detents as suggested in the manual?

I'd follow the manual, tranny's are tricky little beast to deal with. If you insist on just tearing into it
    get a busted one and practice on it first so atleast you have some idea whats going on when you
    open it and pieces fallout all over your work area.
    Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
    - Dennis Grant
    FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Hey, don't split the trans to change those half-shaft seals. Just get a seal puller and remove them. sometimes you can just pry them out with a pry bar or screwdriver. Opening up the trans would be my very last resort.

Comment

^^X2 i've changed axle seals before without tearing the tranny apart

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I dont think hes talking about the half shaft seals.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

When I split my bad tranny apart I used a prybar and it came apart with no problems. I don't remember having to disconnect anything inside either.
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Nope, not halfshaft seals. This would be the main "seal" in the middle of the trans case that's leaking. While I'm working on it, I may as well do the axle seals as well.

Comment

Yes, you do need to follow the directions. Otherwise, the little detent balls will fall into the transmissions only to cause problems later. What I do is get zip-loc bags and label them (make a sketch where they came from) and put them in the bag. Sometimes the springs and balls are different. I can't remember for this trans.
                Its always best to follow the directions when dealing with stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof
                  Yes, you do need to follow the directions. Otherwise, the little detent balls will fall into the transmissions only to cause problems later. What I do is get zip-loc bags and label them (make a sketch where they came from) and put them in the bag. Sometimes the springs and balls are different. I can't remember for this trans.
                  Its always best to follow the directions when dealing with stuff like this.
                  The springs and balls are different. I just tore down one yesterday. Other than those, nothing else is going to fall out or anything like that. Just make sure when re-assembling that the shell is seating properly with no air gaps. If you try to torgue the shell down and it is not seated properly, you are going to have some problems

Comment

Working...
                  X