issue(s) w/ air conditioning system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issue(s) w/ air conditioning system

My 1991 Festiva GL still has the original air conditioning system that it had when I bought it new back in late 1991. The air conditioning system doesn't seem to be cooling like it used to (the fan works okay, though).

Please, is there any place that might still be selling freon in a can? If not, then what are my options (alternative coolant to freon, changing/converting the system)?

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely,

UUUnicorn
    Driving a Festiva makes me infestivacated! :-D

i changed mine over to 134.

Comment

134? Please, what is this, or what does this mean?

Thank you.

Comment

it is the freon that you can buy over the counter and it relaced the old freon

Comment

So, all that I may need to do is have the old type of freon removed and the new type inserted?

Unless there's a leak in the hardware, I wouldn't need to have the old hardware swapped out and new hardware installed?

Thank you again.

Comment

i wouldnt convert to the type of refrigerant they are refering to, R-134A. What you have, R-12, will cool much better. So what i would do is try to find someone who has some R-12 and get them to charge your system for you. im lucky because my father does stuff like that and he has a drum of R-12 at the house
            1993 5 speed FI. 2-5/8" tach, short throw, muffler delete. SOLD
            1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
            2000 Trans Am 6 speed
            1997 HD 1200 sportster
            1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

smokin, do you or your father know anyone in the New York/Long Island area who'd be able to provide this car service?

Thank you.

Comment

You can still buy R12 freon on Ebay for approx $20 a can.
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

sorry, nah i dont know anyone from that area.
                  1993 5 speed FI. A/C! muffler delete, 2-5/8" tach, 5% tint, 14" alum. wheels, JVC head unit, 2 MTX 10" subwoofers. 195K
                  2000 Trans Am 6 speed
                  1997 HD 1200 sportster
                  1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

25Horseplay, you know that you have to be EPA certified to purchase R-12 correct? im fortunate because the college im attending has an environmental comfort class which offers the test to get certified! i got my certification.
                    2000 Trans Am 6 speed
                    1997 HD 1200 sportster
                    1986 Honda Rebel 250

Comment

^^ Yes leaglly but how many Ebayers check? I have bought it without any problems.
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

Working...
                      X