wire identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire identification

hay guys, I need a little help with something :cry: , I am just sorting out the wireing for my b6 swap and i just need to check something. I have a 93 festi with 3sp auto and no A/C On the main engine wireing harness, the one with the injector/sensor plug and CPS plug and stuff, I have a wire with no end on it and I don't know what it is, it might be a ground, but i'm not sure, theres a ground that comes out of the bundle in the same spot and has a loop style grounding lug on the end, and its the same color/gauge wire as the broken off one. does anyone know what it is, I have all the other sensors accounted for (O2, temp.sender, fan switch, ect..... ) I was wondering if someone could check, is there sapose to be 2 grounds and the lug just broke off? Or is this for someting I missed :roll:

no bites? maybe this will help
    it's this wire you can see with no lug next to the one with a lug

Comment

i bet its another ground, hook it up and use a test light to see if it has power running through it. if you have everything else accounted for then your reasoning for a ground is probably right.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
      ---------------------------------------------------
      BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

i think mine had one ground to it.

Comment

your harness only had one ground? see, I don't want to hook it to ground and have it be live or somthing, and I can't test for voltage right now because the electrical is all apart and I don't want to hook up the battery with so many open circuits :?

Comment

Whats that big plug go to? Can it be seen from the top ? Ill go look. Whats the CPS ? Clutch pedal position switch ? Does that gray plug go to the distributor? I cant figure out the where that section of wire is.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Is there anyway you can plug everything in and see if it is hot or not? If it isn't hot it is probably a ground. I am pretty sure it is. I had quite a few grounds on mine, just not sure if it was 2 or 3.

Comment

Also that wire doesn't look cut, it looks like it is frayed in the photo, like it broke or something, have you looked around for a place near where it could possibly go? If you still ahve the engine in there, plug everything back in, and grab ahold of the end of that broken wire, swing it every which way that it can reach and search that area for either the left of end of the plug, or a spot that looks like it went.

Comment

Ok ,I found it. I think the mystery wire goes into the same terminal end (lug) with the other black wire with a white tracer. It looks like in your picture that it had been taped up or something, Looks like it has a wad of something on it. Check to see if that lug would accommodate two wires. I think its a double ground there.
                  sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva
                    Whats that big plug go to? Can it be seen from the top ? Ill go look. Whats the CPS ? Clutch pedal position switch ? Does that gray plug go to the distributor? I cant figure out the where that section of wire is.
                    i think your looking at the cam positioning sensor plug for the distributor, it has 4 wires, the other plug is for my injector harness, as for the wire bundle, ya, it was re-wraped so thats why it looks funky :wink: , so maybe that second wire was originoly attached to the other ground lug, I had to reattach that lug you see because it was hanging on by one strand, that goop is RTV sealent :wink:

Comment

Fresh is right...I just went and looked and it does go to the same spot. I took pics if you need it....but both grounds are defiantely together
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

awesome guys, I'll tether them together when I go over to work on it
                        thanks for all the help, this forum makes working on these little guys a piece of cake :wink:

Comment

Working...
                        X