Lack of power, slight miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of power, slight miss

Hello, I have an 89 festiva, fuel injected, auto tranny. I am having a problem with a lack of power after it warms up. When it's cold it starts right up and runs great for about a minute, then it gets a slight miss. When I drive it, it will not go over 45-50mph. I have changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2 sensor, engine temp sensor, cleaned and checked battery and ground connections. The plugs look a little dark and glossy like it might be getting to much fuel. I had just purchased the car and the previous owner said he removed the cat converter and punched it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, great forum!

Welcome to the board ! Ive heard that some back pressure is needed for the engine to run properly, maybe the "punched out cat" is the culprit. Have you checked your fuel filter ? Where did you get that cool key fob in your avatar? I want one
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Where did you get that cool key fob in your avatar? I want one
      There's usually one on ebay almost every time I check for Festiva stuff. :wink:

Course, my luck being what it is, there's not one on there now. :roll:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I also changed the air filter and checked the fuel filter, I don't think it is clogged up, I can blow thru it pretty easy. Also changed the plugs again, the plugs I took out look just like the brand new ones, so I don't know that it is getting to much fuel or not enough. Would a punched out cat cause a lack of power? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wanbo
          Would a punched out cat cause a lack of power? Thanks
          yes, due to lack of backpressure. your car being an auto needs the backpressure more than a manual car. replace the cat (they can be had for about $50 at any McAuto)
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Now that the problems fixed lets get down to business, how much do you want for that key fob ? :lol:
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
            X