carbed owners, question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbed owners, question...

My 89 seems to want more gas on cold startups,,,,if i pump it less than fives times it wants to go dead, i have changed the fuel filter, replaced the manual fuel pump adjusted the fast idle and butterfly,,,still wants to die,,,,,this will be a problem when it gets winter time......my question to the carbed drivers is has anyone replaced the manual pump to an electric fuel pump on their car with success ? :?:
    previous cars to fix up;
    86 300ZX
    85 RX7 GSL
    88 Corolla FX
    89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

my 78 chevy truck does it. i have owned many carb cars and always had to pump the gas before starting

Comment

A message posted in this forum recently suggested that it's the automatic choke. I cleaned the choke linkages with no effect but have not tried the choke adjustments described in the Haynes manual and in the message about Asian carburettors posted here earlier this week. The Festiva owner's manual says if the car doesn't start right away depress the accelerator pedal three times and hold it half way down while trying to start the engine. I've discovered plugging in the block heater beforehand gets it to start right up any time of year. The same message suggested that is because a warm engine needs less choke to get started.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I have owned the car two weeks now, it seems that the cold start problem is getting better,,,i just pump it twice hold the pedal in slightly for a minute or less and let it warm up a tad, seems that the carb works better to let it warm up before driving....
        previous cars to fix up;
        86 300ZX
        85 RX7 GSL
        88 Corolla FX
        89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by donna
          I have owned the car two weeks now, it seems that the cold start problem is getting better....
          Could be getting better because you are using it.
          Prior to you owning it, did it sit unused for a long period of time?

Maybe some fuel injection cleaner in the fuel might help.
          Or perhaps next few tanks run 89 octane and see if it helps!
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Seafoam right in the fuel tank....works great for cleaning the system....made a differance in mine.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
            X