exhaust system replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust system replacement

I'm really cheap. If I can do it myself and save $50 I'll usually do it.
    Have any of you replaced yourselves the entire exhaust system on your Festivas or would it be less hassle just going to Muffler Man?

If you have, how do you go about gathering all the components....(pipes, cat, muff.) online or local supplier?

this is real off topic but I've got an old Ford 5yd dump truck. It leaks about a gal. of hydralic fluid in the hoist during the summer when I use it.
    I wonder if I could strain my used motor oil real good and use it for the hoist? stoopid or not stoopid??

You can do it yourself, not that difficult, jack it up high and put it on jack stands. The parts are not too expensive at your local chain parts store I paid $120 for mid-pipe, muffler/tail-pipe. The cat will be more expensive try to reuse it, if it's not rusted out. Use stainless nuts and bolts and new gaskets and you should be fine.
    4-spd 1989 Festiva - carburated baby!

Comment

cool..........thanks thats in my price range.

Comment

Re: exhaust system replacement

Originally posted by sammcgee
        LOL me too!

Have any of you replaced yourselves the entire exhaust system on your Festivas or would it be less hassle just going to Muffler Man?
        I have at one time or another and one Festiva or another replaced every part, some multiple times. I keep it OEM so I can replace the parts myself as I do not as yet have a wielder. I generally call around to the McParts stores (Advance, Autozone, O'Riley's, etc) and get the cheapest one available. The quality seems about the same (not high end by any means).
        The following should give you some idea of the cost of the parts:
        Manifold to down pipe gasket- Mcparts about $3
        Downpipe - not available, but might try FMS (FestivaMotorsport.com), JY, or put a call out for one here (As your smart enough to have already added your location to your profile you should have no problem).
        Downpipe to cat "donut" gasket about $8
        Cat converter - Mcparts don't know what they cost always had a used OEM replacement ready to go. But Ford quoted me $300 one time for one!
        Cat converter to Midpipe gasket McParts $3 same as Midpipe to muffler gasket.
        Midpipe Mcparts last one I got was $78
        Muffler Mcparts last one was $18 but did pay $85 for a "lifetime" warranty one!

I concur with the stainless steel nuts and bolts!
        They cost more but make life some much easier when you need to break them lose for another replacement! Warning -finding S.S. metric threaded fasteners is not easy, but worth it!
        Also find a high-temp paint that doesn't require a "cure" to coat the exhaust pipes from the cat on back. this helps with rust through from outside to inside but wont do anything for rust from inside to outside. It has more than doubled my exhaust midpipe and muffler replacement interval.

I wonder if I could strain my used motor oil real good and use it for the hoist? stoopid or not stoopid??
        Not a good idea.
        You could never filter it clean enough to keep from damaging your pump from suspended crud. Your seals may not like it either, they may rapidly degrade with motor oil, even clean out of the bottle. Used motor oil is really nasty stuff, not to mention that it doesn't have the correct anti-wear and anti-corrosive packages need in hydraulic applications. I'd keep putting the correct fluid in or get the cylinder repacked. Probably cheaper to put fluid in unless you use the unit a lot!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

hey thanks blue flight.........that was another thought I had as to whether I needed a welder or not. So if I understand you correctly if I buy OEM parts I shouldn't need a welder?

I thought I might get shot down on the used oil question...lol....I just buy a 5 gal bucket @ Walmart every year. It spurts out in different places on the back-hoe also.
          I usually use the oil to burn up brush piles....at the junkyard I visit they have an old dinasaur stove that drips in used oil. Nice and warm in there during the winter.

Comment

So if I understand you correctly if I buy OEM parts I shouldn't need a welder?
            Just make sure some one else hasn't "re-engineered" the OEM system first!
            Check for:
            Flange gasket between manifold and down-pipe
            Should be a spring loaded assembly holding the down-pipe to the front side of the cat converter (donut gasket inside, not visible)
            Back side of cat to mid-pipe should be flanged with gasket and held together with S.S. threaded portion from cat and regular nuts on mid-pipe flange
            Mid-pipe to muffler is a flanged joint held together with a 2 pairs of nuts and bolts.
            Also check hangers 3 on mufflers, one on mid-pipe and 2 on cat converter.

I thought I might get shot down on the used oil question...lol.....
            Just my 2¢ worth, I just don't like to see equipment destroyed needlessly.
            people however for the most part are expendable, 6 billion of us, lose a few million or so no big deal. Got my list ready! :twisted:

I usually use the oil to burn up brush piles....at the junkyard I visit they have an old dinasaur stove that drips in used oil. Nice and warm in there during the winter.
            Yeah, other uses for waste oil too.
            Awaiting buy/build a centrifuge to cleanup used motor oil for fuel!
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Re: exhaust system replacement

If you have, how do you go about gathering all the components....(pipes, cat, muff.) online or local supplier?
              I recently replaced my entire exhaust system. Muffler shop wanted over $475 to do it so I bought everything locally for about $250. I bypassed the converter but otherwise it is just like factory. The long middle pipe is expensive ($111.00). It is easy if you have the right tools. I would'nt even attemp it without air tools. Air chisels and cut off tools make getting the old rusty stuff off a breeze. Just make sure all connections fit very very tight or you will have leaks. If you put it back exactly like factory you need no welder, only wrenches.

Comment

thanks red.....

Comment

Working...
                X