New Festiva DawgStrip Video ! -Westiva Event-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Festiva DawgStrip Video ! -Westiva Event-

That's right folks, it has been a while but we finally buckled down and we have our newest video up!

What is it like to drive 1400km in a shortened Ford Festiva without a roof to go camping and attend an event called ‘Westiva’? And eat a hat? Other than a g...

Thanks for putting this together. It was great to meet you both and see the Hamster in person!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

This is great. You guys planning on making the trip again in 2016?

Comment

These guys put a lot of time and effort into making a Festiva less capable. The simplest way to take a Festiva camping IMO is remove the rear seat. Done. You can comfortably sleep in the front seats themselves, or use them as part of your sleep area that extends back into the trunk. You could use a roof rack and/or small utility trailer for your stuff if you felt like carrying more than what would fit into the car itself. Note that you wouldn't need space for a tent or tarp, and a car is inherently more secure. For more internal storage, I'd keep the parcel shelf and strengthen it with plywood to actually bear weight, and also make a plywood extension of it forward, between the two rear side windows, to hold more stuff while sleeping; normally that stuff would be just sitting in the rear-seat area, so you'd have to move it to recline the seats. Also, the front footwells can hold stuff while you're sleeping. Camp teardown only takes a couple of minutes of rearranging stuff for sitting up front.

For a one-person camping/road trip, I'd also pull the pass. seat. That opens up a lot of usable space for all sorts of ideas.

I get the whole different-drummer idea, or doing it just because you can, practicality be damned. But clearly they have too much time on their hands. Time they could have spent actually road-tripping......
        Last edited by TominMO; 12-09-2015, 12:05 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

New Festiva DawgStrip Video ! -Westiva Event-

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
          These guys put a lot of time and effort into making a Festiva less capable. The simplest way to take a Festiva camping IMO is remove the rear seat. Done. You can comfortably sleep in the front seats themselves, or use them as part of your sleep area that extends back into the trunk. You could use a roof rack and/or small utility trailer for your stuff if you felt like carrying more than what would fit into the car itself. Note that you wouldn't need space for a tent or tarp, and a car is inherently more secure. For more internal storage, I'd keep the parcel shelf and strengthen it with plywood to actually bear weight, and also make a plywood extension of it forward, between the two rear side windows, to hold more stuff while sleeping; normally that stuff would be just sitting in the rear-seat area, so you'd have to move it to recline the seats. Also, the front footwells can hold stuff while you're sleeping. Camp teardown only takes a couple of minutes of rearranging stuff for sitting up front.

For a one-person camping/road trip, I'd also pull the pass. seat. That opens up a lot of usable space for all sorts of ideas.

I get the whole different-drummer idea, or doing it just because you can, practicality be damned. But clearly they have too much time on their hands. Time they could have spent actually road-tripping......
          I hope you didn't see this and think they were trying to make a more capable or practical car... :/ thats not what they do. Have a look at their other videos. This is the kind of thing they do to vehicles. They didn't do this to a festiva in order to make it better to camp in...
          You say you get the 'doing things because you can' thing but I'm not so sure. I can think people who collect stamps or coins are wasting their time and their life but i wouldnt say that o them because 'each to their own' and its none of my business. Everybody-who isn't married anyway-has a hobby, this is theirs. Everyone could do something more practical than their hobby.
          I hope to find a place with wifi later this week to watch the video, but it was great to meet them and their car in person. I thought it was cool, unique and all that but nobody- not even them-was talking about how practical they were trying to make it, lol. They didnt get a festiva because they like them so much like the rest of us. They got it to make this 'hamster' in particular after seeing some tv show where a festiva was shortened and had a hamster wheel made for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by ryanprins13; 12-09-2015, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I was torn about writing anything at all. Started a couple of times and then quit. On the one hand (my libertarian side), I do get that it is their hobby, none of my business. On the other hand, the practical side of me is thinking WTH? :-)

I'm guessing that 100 years from now, the world will little note nor long remember my hugely important opinion on all this.....
            Last edited by TominMO; 12-09-2015, 04:17 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
            X