Final bell for a Suzuki project I have sidelined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final bell for a Suzuki project I have sidelined

This video concerns a 1993 Swift I was working on bringing back from the dead. If you go back and look at the other videos I shot that led up to this one - you can understand why I bailed and went to find a guy I heard about locally that was heavy into Festiva cars. The Swift went from one serious fail right on to the next - and after researching the cylinder heads I realized I could get a whole running car for less than what it would cost me to get anywhere near having this bucket on the road.

*The cam journals in the head don't have any replaceable bearings.

This is also a test to see how to mount videos here for later on.

The bottom line is that THIS is the wretched heap that decided me on getting a Festiva

Hmm - looks like the back buttons for the other related vids never appeared. But I did guess right about being able to post the vid itself instead of just a link.

Good enough. The next vids I post won't be until I have at least one of the Festivas here and start cleaning them up.
    Last edited by Greywolf; 03-14-2016, 12:05 AM.
    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

I was actually looking for a Metro, Swift or Sprint when I originally was looking for a fuel efficient car for my long commute to the office because I owned a Sprint in the late 80's and knew they was reliable and got great MPG. However, I stumbled across a Festiva for a good price and glad I did. They don't seem to get as good of mileage as the Metro, but I really dig these cars.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Greywolf, welcome to the forum! From what I've seen, these Festivas are built a little more heavy duty than the Metro/swift cars. They are more fun to drive as well. With a few easy modifications, these cars can out handle modern sports cars.
      I'm looking forward to more videos!
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

The Swift/Metro/Sprint had a few minor advantages over Festivas.

1. MPG, you can't beat a Metro XFi for mileage period.
        2. Factory performance models. Starting with the turbo sprints and then the 16 valve Swift GTI (101hp 1.3 liter)
        3. Multiple body styles across 2-3 generations (3, 4, 5 door + vert)

Other than that it seems like they rot out in critical places more easily (front control arm).

And its easy enough to make a performance festiva.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

This one had a pretty clean body, but OH MY GOD what the Prior Owner (PO) did to it!

His last great act of defiance was to dump a five pound bag of sugar into the gas tank...

I spent quite a bit and quite a while undoing that, including rebuilding the Throttle Body, cleaning out the tank itself, tracing blockages in several lines, etc.

~And when all that was said and done, I had an electrical problem between the injector and the EEC/ECM that had me running in circles for days.

Here's the list of the vid's I did on it:

Comment

I can only put one video in each post, so maybe I'll just drop the links after this so I don't get accused of spam.

Comment

I guess I need to figure out how to post the playlist somehow. Skipping ahead, this is where it wound up:

The cause led to what you saw above in the first post - the cam was binding up in it's journals because of failure to oil....
              Last edited by Greywolf; 03-14-2016, 08:34 PM.

Comment

The PO put a bag of sugar in it? What a monumental idiot.

Just curious. Why not swap a new engine in? I mean, when you get down to individual rebuilt parts it gets expensive, but you can generally get a whole different engine for a few hundred.
                Last edited by sketchman; 03-14-2016, 09:28 PM.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

It would need an engine, transaxle, wiring harness+ECM for the engine (I wouldn't want to put the same kind of engine back in, there are 16V swaps for these too), and most important of all:

A running set of wheels to go get all of that...

Comment

Now that you mention it I don't think any engine I've worked on has had cam bearings. Seems like more of a pushrod engine thing to me.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

American V8's (Chevy, Ford, etc...) all have cam bearings. I've still got the original engine from my 89 Ranger which was a 2.3L - and a bad cyl head - but I never looked to see if they had bearings or not.

Since I was brought up on American Iron, I expected to see bearing inserts and was kind of shocked to not see any.

Comment

Yeah, modern small engines don't use them anymore. Don't know about the larger stuff. Just bare aluminum against steel. Sounds really stupid now that I think about it. But it generally works fine.
                        Last edited by sketchman; 03-19-2016, 11:30 AM.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                        X