Video on why you dont need high horsepower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video on why you dont need high horsepower

So (i think car and driver magazine) does a tv thing called head 2 head where they compare 2 cars to eachother. They recently compared a mazda miata to the toyota 86 to a hellcat. We all know festiva > miata (right Julian? ) so It was interesting to watch. Especially seeing these guys who drive the fastest and most expensive cars out there gushing over a 155hp miata. And comparing it to a hellcat at the end was funny.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

That was fun!
    No car too fast !

Comment

It was! It was cool to see these guys noticing all the things that make these and a festiva a great racecar. But then their race driver says the miata has too much body roll and the 86 feels more controlable. Then 3 seconds later he says the miata handles bumps way better.....
      the 86 has like 25% more power but has the same lap time. Probably because it doesnt actually handle as good right?
      And the one guy at the end too, noticing all the right things and then saying these cars dont have enough power and a hellcat would be better! Lol.

Comment

A couple weekends ago my buddy Scot borrowed his wife's best friends ND Miata and nearly chased me down in my Porsche on the track. Scot posted 1 second slower lap times than my Cayman S. The ND just had some Dunlop Durezza tires. I've got NT01 tires and custom valved and sprung KW tripple adjustable coilovers. I kinda want an ND even more now.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          A couple weekends ago my buddy Scot borrowed his wife's best friends ND Miata and nearly chased me down in my Porsche on the track. Scot posted 1 second slower lap times than my Cayman S. The ND just had some Dunlop Durezza tires. I've got NT01 tires and custom valved and sprung KW tripple adjustable coilovers. I kinda want an ND even more now.
          Like we say here in America....."there's no replacement for displacement"....Is the Mazda 6.2 liters of Chevy? Enzo Ferrari was pissed that a " G D Ford" (that's what he called them) beat his cars at Lemans back in the 60's. Cast iron 289's were primitive beasts compared to his beautiful V-12's but what they lacked in finesse they made up in displacement.
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
            Like we say here in America....."there's no replacement for displacement"....Is the Mazda 6.2 liters of Chevy? Enzo Ferrari was pissed that a " G D Ford" (that's what he called them) beat his cars at Lemans back in the 60's. Cast iron 289's were primitive beasts compared to his beautiful V-12's but what they lacked in finesse they made up in displacement.
            But the Cayman is 3.4 liter 6 cylinder and the Miata is only a 2.0l 4 cylinder. Lol apparently there's a replacement.
            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-06-2017, 04:38 PM.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Never mind. I thought the Miata that was chasing you had a 6.2 conversion. I don't know if you are aware of it but there is a place in Texas that is doing a 6.2 Corvette conversion. The conversion is $49K plus the cost of a 2016 or 17 Miata. Yes I would say a 2.0 liters of Miata chasing you down in your 3.4 Porsche speaks volumes for the Mazda and of course it's pilot.
              '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
              '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
              '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Scot is a good driver, but I'm generally a second or so faster than him in any car except his own Spec Miata race car. That's because the seat is too low and I can't see my lines in the damn thing. Lol. Also, he had never driven the ND before, and it wasn't his car. I've had the Cayman for years and track it fairly regularly. I didn't get the chance to drive the ND, but I think I might take one out for a few laps the next chance I get.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                  There is a replacement, its called handeling. Like the video on the first post shows where the hellcat was 10 seconds slower than the miata. ( not a fair race really, but its not faster) on a tight track what matters is how fast you can brake and take the corner, not just how fast you can acellerate in the straights. They called the hellcat a sofa with a rocket. Meaning sure it goes fast but you basically have to stop to turn and it takes a long ways to stop.
                  If what you want is to do burnouts and live the american dream or whatever the hellcat is your car like they said. But if you want to go fast around a track a light car that handles ok is your replacement for displacement.
                  It all depends what your after though. If you want a hellcat for the cool factor or whatever and to do burnouts a miata isnt going to make you happy. And if you want to go fast around a track your not buying a hellcat.

Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-07-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X