Dashcam video from the festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashcam video from the festiva

So i made a compilation of some close calls, bad mistakes other drivers make, funny stuff and my mistakes that have been captured on my dashcam over the last couple years. Most of the clips are from my red festiva, a few from my new blue one and the 3 or 4 with a grey hood is my 2002 civic.
    I enjoy watching these to see what driving in different parts of the world looks like and if you watch a lot of these you start to see the most common mistakes people make and what to look out for on the road. I hope some of you enjoy it.
    Sorry about the audio, the free video editor on my phone messed it up a little.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Pretty good stuff. You need a better horn though. I got two from a Buick Roadmaster that were pretty much plug and play and sound so bossy.
    1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
    1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
    1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Comment

Thanks! I dont make it to the junkyard enough, but i will add that to my list for things to get at the wreckers.

Comment

Look for the one wire spade connector type horns, then find the largest vehicle/horns you can find. Ours are located on both sides of the front bumper. Supposedly Volvo horns are very loud but I like the tone of old American land yachts.
        Last edited by RobotKarate; 11-02-2017, 10:30 AM.
        1999 Toyota 4Runner - daily beater
        1993 Ford Festiva - SOLD
        1986 Toyota Cressida - #stressida hmmmmmm SOLD!!

Comment

I watched a few minutes and I need to get working so I will turn it back on later. I wish I had a dash cam a few days ago while running 75 mph on I-25. I was coming up to an entrance ramp and I could see a slow moving tractor trailer getting ready to merge into the right hand lane. Behind it was an impatient gal in a Smart car. She whipped around the rig at about 40 mph and came right into the center lane which was the lane I happened to be in. A while back someone asked if the stock brakes were any good. I tell you what, they are capable of locking all 4 wheels at 75. I smoked the tires good. I know you don't stop with any control with your wheels locked but this situation was so close I didn't take any chances with anything less then 100% full pedal pressure. I think I missed making contact with the Smart car by less then 5 feet. Times like that I wish I had a dash cam.
          '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
          '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
          '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I just had a Nissan Titan try to merge over on me on the interstate last weekend. First time I have had someone that close to my Festiva.... I could have reached out and touched his truck!
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by RobotKarate View Post
              Look for the one wire spade connector type horns, then find the largest vehicle/horns you can find. Ours are located on both sides of the front bumper. Supposedly Volvo horns are very loud but I like the tone of old American land yachts.
              Thanks, i copied that down too
              Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
              I watched a few minutes and I need to get working so I will turn it back on later. I wish I had a dash cam a few days ago while running 75 mph on I-25. I was coming up to an entrance ramp and I could see a slow moving tractor trailer getting ready to merge into the right hand lane. Behind it was an impatient gal in a Smart car. She whipped around the rig at about 40 mph and came right into the center lane which was the lane I happened to be in. A while back someone asked if the stock brakes were any good. I tell you what, they are capable of locking all 4 wheels at 75. I smoked the tires good. I know you don't stop with any control with your wheels locked but this situation was so close I didn't take any chances with anything less then 100% full pedal pressure. I think I missed making contact with the Smart car by less then 5 feet. Times like that I wish I had a dash cam.
              If i didnt drive i would be a lot less racist and sexist i think....
              Im glad you didnt hit her and damage your vehicle or swerve and loose control. I see a lot of these dashcam clips where someone gets cut off or scared and they swerve and crash while the person who cut them off continues on completely oblivious to what they did...
              Just an fyi, when you lock your tires you not only loose steering control but it actually takes a little longer to stop unless your on sand or really loose gravel. Its probably still quicker than pumping your brakes but 'threshold braking' is the quickest way to stop. I used to practise it a lot when i was younger and was decent at it, but im not anymore. It takes some practise and skill though, i mean it took some pretty smart engineers 35 years to program/make abs brakes worthwhile having.... and im still not sold on it, just a couple vehicles i quickly drove newer than 2014 seemed not terrible.

With the stock brakes, i asked about that a while back on the forum and never got an answer i understood. I asked since the stock brakes can lock the tires how would larger brakes help? I was told that the larger brakes will stop you faster because they dont lock the wheel as quick. I thought that was a function of the tire, so i still dont really understand. I have aspire calipers and rotors but stock everything else and the difference isnt significant enough for me to notice. However pedro can probably stop in half the distance of my car, so maybe it has more to do with the master cylinder and booster matching the calipers and rotors?
              But anyway, my brother and i used to have braking contests, my stock festiva could outbrake his cavalier and my festiva can stop a 900 pound trailer just as fast as my 2002 civic which had all new rotors, drums, shoes, pads and fluid. Nothin wrong with stock festiva brakes for a stock festiva!
              Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
              I just had a Nissan Titan try to merge over on me on the interstate last weekend. First time I have had someone that close to my Festiva.... I could have reached out and touched his truck!
              Yeah, people seem to think they can merge right over top of small cars and motorbikes for some reason. I stay in the right lane like im supposed to on freeways but it seems you gotta watch every merge lane, at least here anyways. They either merge right into you or right in front of you at half the speed limit...
              Glad your ok.

Comment

Working...
              X