CARPUTER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARPUTER!

I know I need to get a new motor and such, but I had all the parts... so...

Here is the bootmenu (dual-booting a carputer setup! l33t! W00T!)

Mon arme a moi, c'est un stylo.

uh ohhhhhhh.....is this the start of a new Techno?
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I can only aspire to reach the dizzying heights the late great DJ Hayeck achieved.

To be compared to techno, that in itself, is a great honor.

Comment

what can you do on that thing?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Well, I have a usb gps adapter, so I can find directions. Admitandly, I'm still at the fitment stage. I still need to plumb it into the sound system, but mp3's & movies are another option. I also have some pretty fancy wifi antanea and a pcmcia wifi card. I can go war-driving.

I'm planning on driving around town with kismet running, export the xml file it will generate to a kml file and superimpose the resulting data into a google earth map. It will give me some neat info, say like ssid, channel, open or closed, if closed wep, or wpa... And crack the wep key, as that is trivial to do, should I so wish.

Comment

can you tune the ecu in the car?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

My main concern would be theft. Anything that looks expensive (whether it is or not) to a scumbag may result in a break in, if not theft of anything he can grab.

You may not care too much about the theft of some cheap old computer components (not that I know how valuable these are), but what about having a lock punched out or a window broken? It's not really the cost of replacements (which you may already have) so much as the time and trouble it will take you to fix it. Not to mention the sheer anger at having the crime committed.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

uh ohhhhhhh.....is this the start of a new Techno?
                My thoughts exactly. :wink:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I have all the components for an alarm system, one that ties into the pc, calls the cops with the gps info.
                  But, the world being as you describe, the monitor comes off it's stand whenever the car is left unattended.

Can you tune the ecu in the car? If there is some device that lets me plug into the system, that was in the cards for later. The engine developing the super click-e-ty of death has forced me to shift my priorities.

I had considered plumbing in a code reader, as I've read on this board that there is such a thing.

Comment

I like the idea of "onboard diagnostics."

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

no, we can't tune the factory ECUs on these cars. However, if you're adventurous, you can convert to the MegaSquirt ECU, which can be tied to your carputer via a DB9 connector, and you can run MegaTune while the engine is running. www.megasquirt.info
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I read about megasquirt before. I think I'll address my engine issues, pursue the sound system plumbing & web access for now.

I need to work on other aspects before I think about replacing the ecu.

Comment

Onboard engine diagnostics and turbo management sounds like a sweet useful mod. :thumbright:
                          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

wow now it looks like a cop car screen. id be funny to pull up behind someone parked in a no parking zone and start typing, see what they do!
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
                            Paulbarrera12.com
                            Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

we use to have a x cop car and when we drove at night no one passed us and this street racer (gang) if that, lol they came up behind us at like 140 and jamed on there brakes and then slowly passed us and then when they found out it was a not a cop they got so mad and floored it and got back up to like 160 this time and i never saw them again. then my dad was driving it one day and had a lap top on the dash and no one passed him in like a hour, it was so funny. i plan on making a track for my lap top and have it go in to my dash, like a cd/dvd player cd deck thing lol.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

Working...
                              X