Finally the Festy goes up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally the Festy goes up

Meet Oliver. Just like Hammster's Opel this is the little car that could and did.

[/img]
    "If you're not first you're last!" -Ricky Bobby

-91L "Oliver" Now B6DE swapped with an ATX Capri ECU on a MTX!!!!
    The little Festy that could...and did!
    (Gone on to a new life)
    -90 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer

What the heck's going on with the seatbelts ? ??

Comment

Originally posted by Sp33dY
      What the heck's going on with the seatbelts ? ??
      its called the seat belts of death lol.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

^^in the states and a few candian cars they has "automatic" seat belts to get people to buckle up. i believe it was required in the states for a few years. USA'ers help me out!

-Scott
        Aqua 93 L
        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

I believe these crazy automated seatbelts were considered "passive safety devices" for a short time. This was esentially a loophole in the safety standards during the transition period leading into the air bags that are required today.
          I'm going to come at you like a spider monkey!
          White 1993 L plus, 5 speed - 47k miles
          * Aspire brake swap, 14" Miata wheels & Tein coliover suspension

Comment

having them can also get you a better rate on your insurance!!!
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I have em, better rates yes, but I hate 'em.
              First day I got the car, I jumped in, and got my head caught in it, pulled it into the frame, darn near knocked me cold, so I unbuckled it, went to the next customers house, got out, and it cut my head open! I still have the scar . I pulled the fuse and have slipped it over my head since.....
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

In 1990 the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration mandated that all passenger cars have either airbags or passive belts for the front seats. GMs without airbags had belts which completely reeled out from the doors, while Ford and others had these "half-passive" belts that had shoulder belts attached to the doors or on a track (like the Festiva). You have to buckle the lap belts youself though, which is why they're "half-passive."

People who didn't like to wear belts simply left them unbuckled.

People like me, who wear them all the time and are picky about our belts, got screwed. If you open the door at low speed to spit, for example, the moving belt will try to strangle you. If left hooked up, it may knock your hat or glasses off, so I always buckle and unbuckle mine.

So instead of ONE lap/shoulder belt, I have to buckle TWO BELTS, taking roughly twice the time.

A perfect example of the gov't trying to solve a BEHAVIORAL problem with a TECHNICAL solution.

Most folks who didn't like seatbelts still don't use them.

Those of us who wear them, get inferior protection.

As soon as I can (this summer, I hope), I will be converting to aftermarket regular three-point lap/shoulder belts.

It was the same with the first gen airbags. They were designed for PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T WEAR THEIR SEATBELTS. Thus, they were overpowered for those of us who did. It wasn't until around '98 or so that the 2nd gen airbags came out with less power for belt wearers.

Gov't regs are another reason why cars have become heavier: increased safety standards.

Thing is, a 2008 model Festiva which didn't significantly change from its original specs would still be able to take advantage of more modern engine and safety designs and become a little safer as time went on.

Instead, I'm driving a '93! So much for "safety standards." I guess I'm supposed to spend megabucks on an overpriced, overweight, overoptioned new car, huh?

The gov't can LMB!!

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Sasquatch wrote:

"its called the seat belts of death lol."

There were a few reports of people who didn't buckle their lapbelts and were only using the automatic shoulder belts when they got into rollover crashes. Their bodies were ejected, with the shoulder belt wrapping around their necks and decapitating them in the process.

Rare, gory, but still unnecessary!

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
                    As soon as I can (this summer, I hope), I will be converting to aftermarket regular three-point lap/shoulder belts.
                    why not source manual belts from a festiva instead of going aftermarket?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

They work, but I just got out of the car and turned the engine off. I have a feeling I would die if I didn't wear the lapbelt.

(Gone on to a new life)

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid
                        why not source manual belts from a festiva instead of going aftermarket?
                        because you can only get tan or grey lol

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                        92 GL - parts car
                        97 aspire - parts car
                        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

'88 and '89 belts are too old. I do have a newer left side (and middle latch) belt in Muttstiva which I will pull, but they're tan. I bought them from the Ford dealer around 2003. I could use them temporarily I suppose.

Seatbelts get old and weakened by sun, age, spills, use, etc. I've also considered using Aspire belts (front or rear), but using belts from 'yards may not be a great idea because they could be stretched out after being used in an accident.

If I'm going to be persnickity with my safety equipment, I go all out.

Karl

Comment

I was thinking about going with racing harnesses when I swap the motor....If I ever do

(Gone on to a new life)

Comment

'88 and '89 belts are too old. I do have a newer left side (and middle latch) belt in Muttstiva which I will pull, but they're tan. I bought them from the Ford dealer around 2003. I could use them temporarily I suppose.

Seatbelts get old and weakened by sun, age, spills, use, etc. I've also considered using Aspire belts (front or rear), but using belts from 'yards may not be a great idea because they could be stretched out after being used in an accident.

If I'm going to be persnickity with my safety equipment, I go all out.

Karl
                              So that's why they call you Safety Guy.
                              Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
                              Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
                              White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
                              White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
                              Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
                              Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
                              Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
                              White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                              X