New Vehicle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Vehicle.

Picked it up today for $750. It's an '84 Volvo 244 GL. It's got 50k miles on a rebuilt engine and new tranny. Good strong runner with a Cherry Bomb glasspack, and manual hand crank sunroof. Need to get the speedometer working. P.O. FUBAR'D the old cable while changing a tranny mount, and fix the linkage to the exterior door handle on the drivers' door. Named her Inga. Plan on painting a Swedish flag on the roof Dukes of Hazzard style when I get it nice and reliable.

Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
    Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
    White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
    White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
    Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
    Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
    Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
    White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Nice, I love the 240s, would love to have a diesel wagon one day. Dad has an '89 5 speed with well over 300K on the clock and still running strong Glad to see I'm not the only one on here that buys cars other than festivas :lol:
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

What are you doing with the Festiva?
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Nice find! What kind of shape is the engine wiring harness in? Pre '88s had a problem with the insulation rotting off.

Old Volvos never die. The 240 series has to be one of the most simple, rugged lines of vehicle out there. You simply can't destroy the B230F "red block" engine or the AW70 truck transmission they came with.

I used to have an '87 Volvo 740, with about 340k on it. Never gave me a problem. Would still have it but $4 gas forced me to sell.

-side note- I thought Volvos had electronic pulse speedometers?
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Nice find! What kind of shape is the engine wiring harness in? Pre '88s had a problem with the insulation rotting off.

Old Volvos never die. The 240 series has to be one of the most simple, rugged lines of vehicle out there. You simply can't destroy the B230F "red block" engine or the AW70 truck transmission they came with.

I used to have an '87 Volvo 740, with about 340k on it. Never gave me a problem. Would still have it but $4 gas forced me to sell.

-side note- I thought Volvos had electronic pulse speedometers?
          Apparently they didn't in '84. The guy said he put the cable back on and it didn't work after he replaced the tranny mount. I haven't looked at it myself.

Funny you should mention the engine harness. It looks like the whole thing was overlayed. Wires seem to be running about at random under the hood, and the day I drove it, we had some trouble getting the fuel pump going. It could be worse though. It looks like there's only a 20 pin or so connector to the PCM, so things should be relatively easy to sort out in the homebrew harness.

Now you have me wondering about that speedometer.
          Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
          Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
          White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
          White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
          Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
          Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
          Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
          White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
          X