My new ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new ride

OK, I have been searching for a Festiva for awhile, due to some Dr. related reasons... I went all over the state looking for the right one. After several wasted trips to Dallas and San Antonio, I got a return call from a guy in Austin about his festiva for $250 cash. I go with cash and tow bar ready to find this:

He said the rear suspension had issues and vibrated so bad the tire came apart and knocked the rear bumper off on that side and killed the tail light. He had replaced the battery and Alt and it just wouldn't charge the battery anymore. So other than the hail damage it has, she is clean compared to the others I had seen, so I paid and hooked up the towbar and headed home.

I took it for a bath, inspection, and window tint... here is what it looks like today:

I put a new tire on the rear, replaced the tail light, and fixed the bumper mounts, painted the lower half of the dash black, tried out a design on the driver's door panel(which it was junk to begin with), swapped in the map light from a tracer, swapped the inside door handles and the lock knobs from the tracer, changed the battery cable ends, changed air filter.

More of the dash will be going black, due to some glue burns when someone tried to glue the radio surround back on.

This is just a brief start on it, in the next couple weeks I am gonna try to add a trailer hitch, two more center caps, change out door panels, replace HEAVY rear glass with smoked lexan.

Here is a couple links to what I have been workin on before I got this fine little car:
    This is my 88 Suzuki Samurai "Krawler"

This is my 89 "krawler hauler"
    88 Smaller Hauler

Good start for FOTM more pics and details.
    In my opinion, the story of the festiva makes it more a FOTM than what it looks like!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Nice, I am digging those door panels!! Details, please??
      You've just given me a couple more things to add to my J/Y list.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I got the original black fob key, most of the papers when bought new. From the story I got, It was bought by his uncle, then went to his dad, and he ended up with it. It also has already had it's motor replaced at 148K, now at 186K and runs like a dream.

The door panels are the stock 88 panels that I masked off parts and painted black to help blend the dash and all the other parts to.
        Last edited by shortystowing; 09-30-2009, 10:17 PM.
        88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

Nice work - I agree with the comments about FOTM

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
          92 GL - parts car
          97 aspire - parts car
          87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
          http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
          Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

I saw that add on craigslist. What was wrong with the charging system? Where is deerpark?DFW area?
            Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
            88? Parts car-sold
            91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
            86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
            1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              Good start for FOTM more pics and details.
              In my opinion, the story of the festiva makes it more a FOTM than what it looks like!
              Definately agree! And i like those door panels too

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by gorgonheimer View Post
                I saw that add on craigslist. What was wrong with the charging system? Where is deerpark?DFW area?
                Deer park is between Pasadena and la porte, Beltway 8 and Spencer turn left, you'll miss it quickly... kinda small, but quiet!! I thought the issue was how corroded the bat terminals were, but cleaned and repalced with new, but today it acted up, seems to be a fuse or fuseable link between the alt and battery somewhere

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                Definately agree! And i like those door panels too
                I wasn't so sure about the door panels myself.... Thanks, glad everyone likes it.
                Last edited by shortystowing; 10-01-2009, 03:07 PM.
                88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

I am in conroe up at the north end of our city.
                  Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
                  88? Parts car-sold
                  91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
                  86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
                  1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

Lots of Houstonians here!

I'm from Friendswood, just south of Houston and around the corner from NASA.

That's a real clean Festiva, and a steal for $250!

Good to see you back on here Shorty. I still have the wiring diagrams that I copied from your Tracer shop manual when I was installing cruise control in my first Festy. Those came in pretty handy...

-Tim
                    White '89L auto - Sold!
                    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Good to see you back on here Shorty. I still have the wiring diagrams that I copied from your Tracer shop manual when I was installing cruise control in my first Festy. Those came in pretty handy...

-Tim
                      I thought you had moved away awhile back?

How did the cruise turn out, cause I have a nice CC set up on my parts tracer that I would love to have on this festiva.

We should get a local gathering together... I am meeting up in Spring at an off road park with a bunch of Zuki group for wheeling Halloween weekend, but free other than that.
                      88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

Originally posted by shortystowing View Post
                        I thought you had moved away awhile back?

How did the cruise turn out, cause I have a nice CC set up on my parts tracer that I would love to have on this festiva.

We should get a local gathering together... I am meeting up in Spring at an off road park with a bunch of Zuki group for wheeling Halloween weekend, but free other than that.
                        I did move away, but periodically come back for school breaks/summers.

The cruise control actually defied my expectations and worked pretty well. The hardest part was putting the reed switch in the back of the Festiva cluster and wiring it up. I had to make a custom wiring harness and mounting brackets for the CC, but that wasn't too challenging, just time consuming. Definitely doable if you use a bit of creativity.

If you install it, a writeup would be awesome. I didn't document my install, and partially removed the CC later on when the throttle splitter thing seized up.

-Tim

PS - if there is a gathering around Christmas, I'll be back and would definitely attend.
                        Last edited by Tim; 10-01-2009, 10:56 PM.
                        White '89L auto - Sold!
                        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Hi Shorteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

Hi Timmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

ummm... hi.... lol

Changed the oil over to mobil1 synthetic and a wix oil & air filter... next will be the fuel filter to wix.
                            88 Smaller Hauler

Comment

isn't Friendswood just downwind of South Park??!!!!!

good to see someone from the old board back to slum it

I am the original

Comment

Working...
                              X