Took apart front wheel/bearing **PICS**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took apart front wheel/bearing **PICS**

I have never taken one apart so,I took one I had laying around and decided to take it apart MY way,which is the incorrect way,but,I just wanted to see everything first hand instead of just in a book.Here is what it all looked like.Also,THE INFAMOUS SPACER/SHIM that is always discussed.Even has light writing still visible on i.

the infamous spacer/shim...!!

below waas pictured for size comparison.I always thought they were tiny.Hmmm..

Dang, that looked like a good one too.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

It was VERY LOOSE.!

Comment

Now go buy bearings, seal, and a rotor. Then you should be good to go, don't reuse the old bearing races either.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

Well,I am not rebuilding this one.I just took it apart to see what I was getting in to.I still need,I believe,an inch-lb torque wrench.Right ?

Comment

Funny there is a post about this just as mine goes bad. I think instead of fixing it I am just going to finally do an aspire swap since I have intended on doing it ever since I got my Festiva.
            -Donny
            -1992 Festiva GL
            B6D/E-series.
            -1991 GL
            BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Originally posted by TONYCASH View Post
              I still need,I believe,an inch-lb torque wrench.Right ?
              You need a torque wrench. The units do not matter. Just make the conversions to whatever you need.
              1 ft-lb = 12 in-lb = 1.356 N-m
              Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                You need a torque wrench. The units do not matter. Just make the conversions to whatever you need.
                1 ft-lb = 12 in-lb = 1.356 N-m
                I just always read that you need an inch-lb torque wrench,but,wasn't sure.

Comment

Well, if your ft-lb torque wrench only goes down to 20 ft-lb and you need to torque something to, say, 100 in-lb, then you're out of luck with that wrench. Just get something that will work for your application. Nobody should work on cars without a torque wrench, unless you like loose or broken bolts
                  Oscar

Comment

I have neither,so,you're saying I can get a ft-lb wrench and do inch-lbs on it for these bearings.

Comment

I'm saying you can convert the units if you need to. But be aware that torque wrenches have a working range that may not work for your application (read post #9).
                      Oscar

Comment

at what part of assembly do you plan on using a torque wrench on the bearings? ensuring correct bearing preload is the job of the spacer ring. it rests between both inner bearing races keeping them from being pressed in too close together. put it all in a press and press it together until it stops.

Edit: Or are you talking about torquing the 4 rotor-hub bolts? i usually just make sure both surfaces are clean and not messed up and crank them down with the impact.
                        Last edited by resuwrecked; 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM.

Comment

You use an inch pound wrench to check the drag on the bearings this is proportional to the amount of spacing the spacer provides. There is a tool you place in the hub assembly to do this.
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

for the drag measurement, you need a dial type torque wrench like this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/torqu...que-wrench.htm
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

just had to do my fronts a week ago
                              92 civic sedan VTAK
                              91 festiva small and slow

Comment

Working...
                              X