Motorized Bicycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized Bicycle

Is anyone else here into them or have built one? They are a blast! I got my engine kits from ebay. They cost around 130-150 and come with everything you see on my bike below. All you need is a bicycle with a solid rear and enough room to mount the engine. Beach cruisers are the easiest to do. I have had a mtn bike in assembly for the last 2 1/2 years and am about to get back to it. Here are a few of the ones I have built. The black one with red wheels rode nice and smooth at 25-28mph. I played with the engine on the red one. It does 42! :mrgreen: The all black one with basket on the back was the predecessor to the red one, and I rode it to work a lot (12mi round trip) They are a lot of fun and man did Ellie and I turn some heads in Ocean City on these things! It was cool because we could just ride down the shoulder all the way there and bypass all the backed up traffic. Once we got there we could cruise down the right lane with the mopeds and I would race them (and sometimes win LOL). Its cool keeping up with traffic ar 35 on a bicycle.

I just noticed my car in the background in this pic! Only mod done at this point was the bp.

After accenting the engine with high temp engine enamel.

I built this one and sold it, then bought it back for half what I sold it for because the kid messed up a wheel and his parents wanted him to get rid of it.

The black one. This was my first one I put together and by this point had over 500 miles on it and still running strong.

The red one. I still have this bike and I love it. Takes me over 40mph easily and is hooked up with heavy duty wheels and springer. I changed the seat to a black one after these pics and it looks much better.

Set up during bike week with some friends at the time.

Photo Shoot!

I stumbled across motoredbikes.com last night and they have a lot of cool looking stuf in the photo forum now. I want to start another one.

The black one with the chrome baskets is very cool.
    ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

Ha funny you mentioned this, i am ordering an 80cc engine kit. Just got to get a bike to put it on. I think i am going to put it on a mountain bike.:p
      90 Festiva L Auto - Parts
      93 Festiva L 5 speed
      93 Festiva LX 5 speed

Comment

depending on the frame, you have to do more modification to the exhaust/intake to make it fit.

Comment

I've got a Three wheeled bike I picked up last year and I have thought about putting one of those kits on it.
          1960 willys pickup
          1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
          1989 festiva
          1990 festiva for parts
          1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Your bikes are beautiful!

I'd love to do something like that, but where I would ride it, the tourists would run me over.
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Do these little engines last long? I knew a couple kids that had these and they all blew up within a week. It could be that they are all idiots though....lol. Those bikes are really nice looking though I like that first one a lot.
              Last edited by ShagFestiva; 04-19-2010, 08:44 PM.
              Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

Thanks. Yes the engines last thousands of miles if you take care of them and don't over rev them. The kids you referred to probably didn't mix oil in the gas. They are made very cheap but are reliable if taken care of.

Comment

what exactly did you mod on the Red one to allow 40+ mph?
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

i wanna get a 80cc kit for my 3 wheeler bike... and maby add a small shot of nos or somthing lol... its got a platform on the back that i could stick a 10lb bottle on

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Just curious...mpg?

Comment

very cool!
                        Previous owner of a '89 Graphite L, 4spd, GL Seats, Aspire Brakes, 14x6's, 185/60/14's

Comment

super jealous. there is a guy here i nthe northwest that floods the craiglist with these bikes. somehow his kits are 'far superior' to that 'ebay garbage'. i love old mopeds and motorized bikes and have always wanted to do one. Especially wanted to do one since i destroyed my knee 8 years ago. i can't push a pedal more than a few hundred feet without days of repentance and ibuprofin. firstly, what kits are you using? secondly, could this be fit onto the above said 3 wheeler? because i have both a cruiser and an old school 3 wheeler with the axle in back.

Comment

I custom built a childs 12" bike powered by an old chainsaw I had laying around. I'll see if I can find pics. It was a beast, could easily do 50mph. And only had Nike breaks. Had a blow out on the front tire and about 45mph one time. Everyone of my frends has gotten their fair share of roadrash after riding it lol. One time my friend was in some house slippers/pimp shoes for some reason, and put his feet down and his shoes vaporized! It was hilarious. :mrgreen:
                            '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

^L0L, sounds like fun. That engine had to be really crankin to get that speed with a 12" wheel.

The kits i got were just the regular basic cheapo kits from the bay. I think some people refer to them as the "red bat" kit since the box it comes in has a red bat on it and says red bat. Most of them are listed as 80cc but are actually 60-something cc. The 66cc kits and motors are ok too. As long as you get a kit with the chrome-capped handgrips and cnc clutch lever you are good. They can be put on any bike that has enough room, welding and modification will be required on a 3 wheel bike and some sort of sprocket for the rear axle devised. If anyone here is interested in making one check out motoredbikes.com it had a lot of info.

Comment

Working...
                              X