Cicada emergence pics - cool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cicada emergence pics - cool!

I went camping memorial weekend at Ted Shanks Conservation Area and was caught in the middle of a Cicada emergence. They were coming out of the ground at night and crawling on everything! Must of been 100 on the tent.
    Next morning they were coming "out of thier shells". Pretty cool and I got pics of them in differerent stages coming out.

A view from the overlook we camped at

Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Tie a string around their head and eyes. The coolest toy a kid could ever have!
    Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 06-01-2011, 11:08 AM.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

I think I read somewhere that this year in western Missouri both the 13 year and the 17 year cicadas will emerge at the same time. It will be the first time they both emerge togather since 1777. The next time will be 221 years from now.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
        We used to do that with June bugs when I was a kid! Cool pics and very nice camping spot!!
        Pat

:fred:1993 5 spd "Big Red" - Daily Driver
        1994 Honda Del Sol DOHC VTEC
        2004 Mazda 3
        -----------
        5 million dogs and cats are euthanized each year in shelters. Have your pets spayed or neutered.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

nice pics! that camping spot would be perfect for a meet!
          Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

nice pics, thanks for sharing
            money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

You all are welcome. It was a VERY good spot. Hwy 79 is shut down almost at the entrance to the CA, and almost no one was around. It felt like we were the only ones on the planet at times! And Memorial weekend at that!
              As far as a meet, it is 100 miles north of St. Louis, and 17 miles south of Hannibal, Mo. right on the Mississippi river. That is the river in the overlook pics.
              There is a St. Louis meet coming up too!
              A meet there could be possibility.....

....Tom?
              Last edited by drddan; 06-01-2011, 11:49 PM.
              Dan

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Super cool! Especially with all the stages!
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                  Originally posted by Stivadiva View Post
                  We used to do that with June bugs when I was a kid! Cool pics and very nice camping spot!!
                  LOL! I used to do it with june bugs. Then I upped the anti and did it with bumble bees!!! LOL!!!
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                    Super cool! Especially with all the stages!
                    Yea, had to get pics. That is a once in a lifetime occurance, to be in the right spot at the right time, and to be able to see it happening.
                    I was thinking of you and all the cool pics you get! Call me a copy cat!

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
                    nice pics! that camping spot would be perfect for a meet!
                    Tom and I are thinking that we will try to put together a meet at that camping spot!
                    It is beautiful there all year long. In the fall, with all the fall colors, it is almost beyond belief!
                    I vote for an October meet, at the height of the fall color season.
                    There are several overlooks and a roadside park, all within a mile or two in that area. All of them as beautiful as the others.
                    Last edited by drddan; 06-02-2011, 11:02 PM.
                    Dan

R.I.P.
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                      Tom and I are thinking that we will try to put together a meet at that camping spot!
                      I have to say that spring festival was my favorite meet because of the that very thing. Meeting in the woods and camping is where it's at. I didn't get to stay and camp but just being in the trees with the shade and grilling made that meet. I will camp next year for sure.

I love the big meets no doubt, but hanging in parking lots is too brutal. It's great for photo ops but the sun just punishes us.

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                        I have to say that spring festival was my favorite meet because of the that very thing. Meeting in the woods and camping is where it's at. I didn't get to stay and camp but just being in the trees with the shade and grilling made that meet. I will camp next year for sure.

I love the big meets no doubt, but hanging in parking lots is too brutal. It's great for photo ops but the sun just punishes us.
                        I tried the parking lot thing for the first two meets. It wasn't going to make it to a 3rd meet, until everyone saw the overnight spot that was a last-minute idea! Neanderpaul, much more is in store this next time. All I have to say is, reserve a cabin in advance! Bebandit has some ideas as well
                        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                          All I have to say is, reserve a cabin in advance! Bebandit has some ideas as well
                          Count on it!

Comment

Working...
                          X