Lightened flywheel gone wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightened flywheel gone wrong.

I came across this while doing some research about lightened flywheels.

93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

cool
    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Guy still alive?
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
        Guy still alive?
        Yeah, luckily everything shot outwards from the car.

Comment

How can a mass rotating in its center can be thrown in such a way that it does that?

I want replay in slow-mo please.

Comment

Looks like someone forgot to torque the flywheel bolts!
            89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
            My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixSHO View Post
              How can a mass rotating in its center can be thrown in such a way that it does that?

It is not just a mass rotating about its center. it is transmitting torque.
              I suck at the internet

Comment

He is dam lucky the rotation of a 1.3 wasn't the other direction. That would have been a very bad situatuion. I have had racing clutches on my race kart explode and come through a very thin fiberglass seat. A car like that should almost have a shield installed like a drag car to prevent such accidents.
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Flywheels do have a bursting speed, especially Cast Iron ones. I took a mechanical design class and we spent a couple classes on flywheel design. This is why I advise against lightening stock flywheels.
                  89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                  94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                  2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                  1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixSHO View Post

A spinning object is under constant acceleration, i.e. changing velocity since the direction of motion is constantly changing. Inertia is constantly acting on the flywheel, causing every point on the flywheel to want to continue motion in the direction its travelling at any given moment. This force is not directed outward from the center, but rather at a right angle to it, since the direction of motion is always tangent to the arc of the path. Clear as mud? Think of it this way...

If you tie a rock on the end of a string and twirl it around over your head, you will feel the tension in the string. It will feel like the forces on the string are acting outward from the center, but if you let go of the string when the rock is exactly in front of you the rock will not fly out directly in front of you. Rather, it will fly off to your right or left, depending on the direction of rotation. Where the pieces of the flywheel go depend on what point during rotation they let go, but it will alway be at a right angle, never straight out.
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

^ nice anology. Nothing like a physics lesson coming from a serious failure like that. I love and hate seeing pictures like this. It's like a train wreck; you have to look.

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk
                      91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
                      92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
                      95 Grand Prix SE DD
                      Wife's Stuff:
                      89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
                      97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
                      Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

I think the best way to explain it is this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivBs0DAL7Wo

Comment

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. I was going to put in a lightened flywheel when I replaced the clutch, but now will not do it. I forgot about the down side of the project.

i218127

Comment

^^^love this video, has watched it several times. That focus is fast
                              Ford Fester

Comment

Working...
                              X