Skeeter Updates...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeeter Updates...

This is an update on skeeter… my old update thread is http://fordfestiva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272 (Most of thoz pix are broken links now, but their still on my website) and this thread is basically a continuation of that. This just covers what I’m doin this summer you can also check out my website, I’ll post this there as well.

So lets see… I got out of school 3 weeks ago, end of my first year of college and the finish of my HS career.. yey for me :p first thing I did was make a list of stuff I wanted to do to my car, starting with routine maintenance that I had been putting off while I was buzy w/ school.
    Rad Flush/ Refill
    So I started by flushing the radiator/block and putting in new coolant… first time I’d ever done it. That took some time b/c I wasn’t sure how to flush the block (still not sure I did it the best way). The coolant runs from the bottom of the radiator up thru the block and back down into the radiator, and so you can’t just drain the block out the bottom b/c of the water pump. What I did in the end was start the engine w/ the top radiator hose disconnected, put the garden hose in the radiator filler cap, and when the engine would get hot enough just let it pump what was in the block out. I did this till the stuff coming out was fairly clear then drained the radiator and filled it up with 100% coolant (figuring the block had almost pure water in it, and the radiator holds a lil less than half of the total amount)… so that was good to get done, seems fine now.
    While I was doing that I replace the upper Rad hose b/c it had a large gash in it (wasn’t rlly leaking but wasn’t worth the risk).

Trany fluid
    Next I changed the trany fluid. First time I’ve ever done that as well… nothing to talk about there. Drove around a lil to warm it up, drained the old fluid (yuck!! Looked like used engine oil) and put new fluid in.

Front Crank Seal, timing belt, drive belt
    Next up came some fun stuff… the whole time I’ve owned this car I had oil spots on the hood and wasn’t sure where it came from. Never gave it much thot, the car didn’t leak enough oil to even notice it over 3-4k miles between oil changes. However a lil while ago I read on the forum somewhere that the symptoms I had were symptoms of a bad front crank seal. I also knew my drive belt was going bad, so I did some research on the parts to find out cost and how much work it would be… I decided it was going to take some time I bought the parts and was basically waiting for a good time to do it, when I would have a whole day. Friday a week ago I woke up to the phone ringing, and it was my flight instructor canceling my flight lesson for the day: my dad had nothing planned now. My dad was off to work, and I would have preferred if he woulda been around but I was like this is a good chance, lets do it. So the fun began. Everything went very smoothly until I got to removing the crankshaft sprocket bolt. There isn’t enough room to get any of our ratchets in there, so I was using a cresant wrench (not the most ideal tool for the situation) so I tried dropping the engine. I lowered it, and all of a sudden it stopped going down, it was supported on the cross member and I still couldn’t get a ratchet on it! Grr. Tried for a while, jacked it back up and re-installed the motor mount bolt. It was about lunch time by then, so I stopped for a while. Looked thru the manual again, and decided to try ripping the starter out to get at the flywheel… took out the battery, removed the clutch cable, and got the starter out. Got a crowbar in there but couldn’t get it to hold itself in place tight enough. I needed stinkin help! (and I wasn’t going to let my mom, who had just come home, go jamming crowbars in my flywheel ) finally I basically gave up, occupied myself with cleaning up the mess that was all around and wondering around the yard till my dad came home around 5 (I had so much stuff all over me I couldn’t go in the house). When he got home, he jammed the flywheel and I tried to get the bolt to turn. No luck. Get a big ol pipe: finally! It broke loose and after a quarter turn could spin it w/ my fingers. Talk about a pain in the butt… from there I pulled the rest out, took out the old seal, installed new seal, set timing marks, new timing bet on, new drive belt, re-install everything (including starter/ everything else I had ripped apart trying to do it by myself) and finished up around 2am. I needed my car the next morning so I had to finish it! But it was done, and I had a lotta fun.. should go much faster next time tho.
    Heres a bit of advice that my dad suggested after we loosed that bolt up, so if you didn’t read all of above at least read this (and if you don’t think it would work let me kno): he said “put it in gear, and have some1 stomp the brakes while you turn it.” I was like “duh, that makes so much sense…”. Oh well. next time I may try that.
    Ok here are a few pix from that procedure (no pix from the first two). Unfortunately I didn’t take many pics in the middle of this project…

Airbox removed, I also removed the horn later for easier access. Note the sludge on the inside of the lower pass side fender:

Oil on the hood: the tell tale sign that your seal is bad. I had just cleaned this off a few months before, it was much worse a while back:

Sludgy alternator. I’m surprised it still works well enough, guess a thick layer of oil doesn’t affect it much. I still tried to wipe what I could off:

Here it is in the midst of the operation:

Around 1:30-2am, wiped out and glad to be done I got a lil crazy w/ the camera b4 I took a quick shower and headed to bed…
    I love my car, but it was deff time for a shower and bed lol :

In the morning I got up, looked things over made sure looked OK, hopped in the car and it started right up and has been running great since I really love these cars… even *I* can’t mess them up when I’m putting them back together at 1am!

Body Work
    Well, when I was purchasing some of the other stuff I needed I picked up some bondo. I’d never used the stuff before. Now I wish I would have ever since I’ve gotten the car its had a number of dents, the worst being the rear left quarter panel. I wish I would have taken a ‘before’ pic, but it was bad… and always leaked. I decided enough with that, hammered it as best I could (for the third time ) and then sanded it down and started bondoing it. 4 layers of bondo later it looked like this:

Add some primer:

I’m very pleased for my first time ever using bondo! The stuff was fairly easy to work with, and I think it did a good job, and it looks better now (better than crinkled rusty metal at least).

So that’s all I’ve done so far this summer w/ skeeter.
    Next up: Aspire brake swap (If I can ever get some1 who will do the 16hr round trip drive to OH w/ me… grr I’m impatient), replace FL fender, fix the rest of rust/ ding spots with bondo now that I’m a lil more familiar with it, and then hopfuelly a “$50” paint job! Going to change it to a lil different shade of blue, with black around the bottom… some ppl say they don’t think it’ll look good, others think it’ll look good. Heres a pic of what I’m thinking of, lemekno what ya’ll think. Also still contemplating possibly trying my hand at side skirts… don’t know if it’d be worth it tho.

Sorry for the ubber long post…. I’d b surprised if ny1 actually reads all of this. LoL. I’ll keep updating w/ pix in this thread as the summer rolls on…

~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

I read all of it! I wish more of us on here were as diligent as you in keeping us posted about what is going on with their cars. I try to be, but between work and school and everything, I just can't keep up with it. But yeah, its great to hear from you... skeeter is one of my fave little cars on here.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Keep this up man, these are the exact kind of posts I am looking for.

:wave:

Aaron
      A Festiva saved my life.
      Former owner of a '93 L.
      Rolled her at 120 km/h and walked away.
      R.I.P. "747"

Comment

Good going Nate!

You wrote:

Next up: Aspire brake swap (If I can ever get some1 who will do the 16hr round trip drive to OH w/ me… grr I’m impatient),
        What's in Ohio? Can't you find any Aspires to rip up nearer your place?

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

" Everything went very smoothly until I got to removing the crankshaft sprocket bolt. "

Ive been there before. Would have been a lot easier if they had put a little access hole if the fender well to stick a socket through. That crank bolt is the size where metric and standard coincide and a 21.5 = a 15/16 - 1 1/8 or something like that. It helps if you can get someone in the car to put the car in four gear and leave clutch out and hold the brakes on. Need big cheater bar and some luck. Seems like about the time it should break loose you run out of room under the hood for going that last needed inch to break. I cursed mine a few times but finally got it. I think its great you are keeping your festy sound. Looks like your are doing a fine job.Good for you!! Long live sketter!! Keep us updated.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Oh yeah, be glad you didn't have an A/C pulley, that makes it even more fun. I had to pry on the engine with a 2 x 4 just to get the bolt out after it was loosen. Just barely enough room between the pulley and fender well to get it out. Reverse for installation.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Thanks for the kudos guys this place is so great...

Karl: the cheapest i found aspire brakes around here was like $200 at a u-pull it, and the aspire was quite rusted and very much over grown w/ a thorn bush... Matt is giving me a great deal if i can get up to his place. good enough of a deal to make it worth the drive

freshtiva: i am VERRY glad i dont' have AC! lol. and yes, i agree a hole in the fender would have been good planing...

i have more stuff to update but i don't have pix/ text ready yet.. my posts are a few days behind whats actually happening i can say i'm fairly happy w/ the way things are going now... hope it keeps that way
              ~Nate

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

OK, next update:

A lil while ago i stopped in to see Paul (carbonvmax) who is about an hour from me... picked up a new FL fender, a spare hood, and an interior piece to replace the broken one in the back of Skeeter... it was great to hang out for a little with a fellow stiva fanatic, and all the cars/parts he had were very cool... learned some new stuff from that if you ever need parts he's almost for sure got 'em!

Well i was doing a little more bondo work, getting ready for paint. Standing just outside the garage all of a sudden drops started hitting me! soon it was raining quite heavily and i jumped in the garage and took the time to take a pic of the car. here you can see the new fender (same color even!!!), new hood (I’ll get to why its on the car at this point in a bit), and the spot i was working on bondoing on the rear quarter panel...

The reason I had the new hood on, which I’m planning on cutting up to make a CAI, is that I was experimenting on the other hood w/ paint. I picked up a gallon of rustoleum “sky blue” paint from Home Depot for like $17. I think a gallon will do the whole car, but I’m planning on doing the bumpers/ plastic side trim down black so I guess it doesn’t even have to cover the whole car. I picked up a small hobby airbrush at harbor freight for $5 (50% off) and was practicing on the bottom of the hood with that to get a feel for how it works. It shoots such a small amount of paint that it took quite a while but worked well and here is what it looked like after 2 coats. You can also see the difference in color between the old and the new. It was the only light blue color they had, but I think it should look decent.

And then the other day my dad and I decided to go kayaking… and we used skeeter got some funny looks, but it worked great! LoL… festivas rock!!!

I have I think 5 coats of paint on the top of the hood now, using the roller method. Working perty good so far! Maybe by the end of this week I’ll pull the whole car into the garage and start getting color on it!!
                Well tahts all for now… planning on picking up aspire brakes next week when I’ll have a few days free… I’m sure there’ll be more updates in the near future! And once again thanks for all your positive support guys…
                ~Nate

Current cars:

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Looks awesome. $17 is a deal on a gallon of paint. I just had a quart of pop yellow mixed for my project at Automotive Color and it was $47 with the required thinner.
                  I'm sure you'll have it looking great. You have a good start. Keep it up.
                  '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                  '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                  '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                  '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                  '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                  '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                  '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Looking good Skeeter,Looks like you know how to have fun !!
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Lookin good...You wouldn't want to come down to Arkansas to do some body work would you?

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

you pay for my gass to get there, the suplies you need (bondo/paint), and put me up for a few days and i'll be there 8)

I'm being dead serious too!! hehe... actually if my car turns out good i thought about trying to do other peopls cars and just charge like $200 a car + materials cost... since it seems like no one around here will hire some1 under 18 in a shop. so far the only way i've made $ this summer was replacing fender on my moms minivan for her...
                        ~Nate

Current cars:

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Skeeter ,you may have a 5 year contract around here :lol:
                          Traveling around the country painting Festivas ,Now that would be nice.
                          .................... S.A.P......................
                          Skeeters Automotive Painting
                          Have skills ,will travel
                          Your car needs painting ,don't sweat it ,I will come to you. :laughing5: :toothy10:
                          ------------------------------------------------
                          The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                          Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                          HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                          Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                          Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                          Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                          Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                          90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                          It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I'm ready to make buisness cards and fire up a website

well, guess i better wait till my car turns out OK first! lol. but then, if anyone wants... for a little bit of $ i would do it!... hehe.
                            ~Nate

Current cars:

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Nate came up today to pick up an aspire swap and some wheels from me. His $50 paint job is coming along real nice. Definitely a nice way to paint a festiva. I'd recommend it.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                              BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                              BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                              New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X