New 97 Aspire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 97 Aspire

Yesterday I went and looked at this, it's been sitting since memorial day is what I was told, and looks like it!

It's a 1997 auto, with 98k on the clock, has VERY LITTLE rust, none to speak of on the driver side, and just a little on the passenger side.

I sold this guy a rocker arm the day before Madness, this is the original rocker arm lol..

This was the problem all along that he didn't notice until he took the rocker shaft off..

So we talked for awhile, and finally settled on a price below his bottom dollar and above my top dollar lol..

and today, I dragged it home 70 some odd miles from Ravenswood WV to Lowell Oh..

yea, I hooked it straight to the axel of my minivan.. lol, I know..

anyway, got it home, ripped the cam out of both cars..

and pulled a BUNCH of metal shavings out of the head with my magnet, dropped the cam bolt down the oil return galley while I was at it...but I was planning on dropping the oil pan to clean it out anyway, in case metal shavings had gotten down in there too..

I busted a magnet off an old speaker and threw a chunk down in the oil pan since they didn't have one in there from the factory..

random shot of the engine..

So, after about 6 hours, I had er up and running, and went for a little drive around the block! She runs good, there's a couple minor things that need sorted out, but for what I gave for it, it's worth it
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

You are a very motivated person, it's awesome how you just jump right in and get it done. Nice aspire, and factory alloys to boot!

Just noticed they are hubcaps and only 3 of them. lol. still a nice car!
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-17-2012, 11:08 PM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Crazy rednecks....Glad you found a rust free one.
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

You pulled that thing 70 miles with just a chain!! Crazy!
        -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
        Random Festiva Parts
        Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

^haha yea...like a boss...or an idiot...whichever comes first. The vans still in one piece, I had my doubts lol.. my cousin was supposed to meet up with me today with his s10 so we could rig up my HF tow bar and do it in a safe manner.....but he was up drinking all night and passed out around 7am, so..

I started thinking about stuff and went ahead and swapped over my 14" protege alloys and stud kit. Looks pretty good, but the steering is harder, needs some Rio struts, tomorrow.. oh gotta grab some MATCHING lug nuts, I've got a mix of nuts from chrysler, ford, mazda, kia, and whatever car those other nuts came off of that I snagged off the floorboard in the jy..
          Last edited by zoom zoom; 10-18-2012, 01:01 AM.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

uhhh how did you get the aspire to stop? was there a driver in the aspire turning and braking?
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              uhhh how did you get the aspire to stop? was there a driver in the aspire turning and braking?
              This is a good question. 70 miles of towing like this could be very stressful for the towed driver. It's so easy to run into the tow vehicle.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                lol, my wife was with me she's awesome, I can get her to do whatever I want haha... At first I tried to let her drive the van, but she couldn't get the feel for keeping the chain tight without trying to yank the rear end out...so she ended up steering and braking the car.

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                This is a good question. 70 miles of towing like this could be very stressful for the towed driver. It's so easy to run into the tow vehicle.
                haha...we actually didn't have any incidents. It kinda just worked out awesome... she "claims" this is the first and last time I get her to do something like that though!
                Last edited by zoom zoom; 10-18-2012, 07:59 AM.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

everyone is missing one important thing... He FLAT TOWED and AUTO TRANS car!

There's a good possibility you did serious damage to the transmission. Auto trans' cannot be flat towed, because the oil pump that lubes and cools the trans is operated by the torque converter, which means the engine has to be running...
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Uhhhh...yea bud. Lil patience woulda helped here.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Matt, how'd your new ride sound on the test driving? Any transaxle noises?

Looks like a good deal to me. I love blue, too!

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

What if he towed it in drive?

Comment

Matt, I'm thinking "Z5 & F series 5 speed out of a '95 Protege swap."

Maybe this spring. Let the B3 get you through the winter.

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

^ yea Karl, we'll see, i got another project to take care of first haha.. I'm actually thinking about a turbo auto aspire, just need to figure out the fuel. I've got this k03 I snagged out of the JY last week that would be nice on a b3.

Fb, I knew the risks.. (well not really, but I knew you weren't supposed to pull an auto car) and it runs fine at the moment I put about 80 miles on it this morning, and it seems to run pretty good. Trust me, for the price I gave, it was worth a gamble. I didn't know if the thing was even gonna start! There's still a chance I missed some pieces of shrapnel from the old rocker arm, so the bearings or cam journals may or may not be toast anyway, the price justifies having a clean shell in my yard, worst case senario.

Oh and it shudders hard from the right front, but only when the brake is applied. Sticky caliper or caliper bolts need lubed?

Went ahead and put my Mazda 626 intermittent wiper switch and steering wheel on here this morning, it was all I had time for before I had to go for a ride definately needs new front struts, some k9737 poly bushings, and I think that will take the slight wiggle out of the wheel over 45 mph. Rides nice and smooth under 45, but around 50+ it pulls a little to the left, maybe the ebrake sticking? It only half works, need to repack rear bearings and check out those brakes.
                            Last edited by zoom zoom; 10-18-2012, 10:44 AM.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

I like the magnet trick. I have never thought to use one of those darn speaker magnets I have lying around all over the place.
                              Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X