Never judge a book by the cover! [lots of B6D pics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never judge a book by the cover! [lots of B6D pics]

So the story goes; I originally wanted to do a B6ME in my blue 93 and then I changed my mind and decided on a B6D instead. I already had the B6ME but Motoxpress wanted an ME for one of his cars, and Festevil3 had just given him a B6D that he had laying in his back yard for a few years. So we traded around I had Festevil just drop the engine off at my shop.

He called just before delivering the engine and said "you are gonna be so mad when you see this engine. It's been laying in my yard for 5 years and I forgot how bad it looked!" Having seen some pretty rough cores in the past I replied "is the engine broken in half? If not, I can use it"

When he dropped it off there was obviously a colony of ants that had decided to make the D their home and he was nice enough to deliver them with the engine LOL. We unloaded it by hand and by the time we got it off the truck we were all being attacked!

Here's the pics of the engine as delivered. Pretty bad, but I've seen worse and it's what's on the inside that counts

I love the grass growing off the pulleys!

You can't see them in the pics, but the damper was still crawling with ants!

After a good pressure washing.

Then I removed the timing covers and found the ant's home base!

On the stand after another good wash down to evict the remaining occupants. (sorry so blurry)

The slightly dented pan No worries, I have a much better pan to use.

And now to the good (and more important) stuff. The insides!

Here's the underside of the valve cover, nice and golden

Other than some rust on a few cam lobes the inside of the head is just as nice. No biggy, I have some better cams to swap in anyway.

The inside of the block. Sooo clean

The backside of a piston. Again, it looks almost factory fresh!

And here was the big find, absolutely zero ridge in the top of the bore and it still has hash marks in the cylinders :thumbup:

Many people would have taken one look at this engine and passed it over. But I've seen engines that looked 10 times better on the outside and were 100 times worse on the inside. All the important stuff on the inside was pristine. Other than a little rust and the chocolate milk oil everything was in perfect shape. No sludge, no ridge, nothing broken, and the bearings and crank looked almost new. It even still has tooling marks on the piston skirts. Of all the B engines I've dismantled this one is the best one yet!

I'm going to start a build thread on the blue 93 when I get some other projects done, I just wanted to share this part of the tear down due to the extreme difference between the outside of the engine and the internals. I think it'll make a nice addition to the 93's engine bay when finished
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

awesome findings!

what all kind of wiring is involved in a b6d swap?
    Last edited by bobbyspider; 07-28-2013, 11:12 PM.
    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

As far as wiring it's just like any other B6 swap, just swap the ECM, VAF, injectors, and rewire the injector harness for the different style plugs. In some ways I think it will be easier than a 2nd gen B6 or B6ME because you don't have to swap the VAF and battery locations or make the long bendy inlet air piping since the D has the B3 style intake
      Last edited by Zanzer; 07-28-2013, 11:24 PM.

WWZD
      Zulu Ministries

Comment

and as far as mounts go? just like a bp?
        -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
        -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
          But I've seen engines that looked 10 times better on the outside and were 100 times worse on the inside.
          The first B6 for my swap was locked up from rust on the inside, looked beautiful on the outside :sad:

Nice find, indeed-e-o! Purty!
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
            and as far as mounts go? just like a bp?
            I haven't swapped a BP yet but from looking at Danny's BP swap I would say yes. Just mod the front mount like a BP or B6T due to the wider head. Charlie has a really slick mount he made for his B6T that I plan on copying

Originally posted by drddan View Post
            The first B6 for my swap was locked up from rust on the inside, looked beautiful on the outside :sad:

Nice find, indeed-e-o! Purty!
            I got an Aspire motor from the JY that was the same story. Looked great on the outside but I found #4 cylinder was hosed when I tore it down. That's why I only view a used motor as a core to be rebuilt unless I personally drove the donor car and can verify the engine ran without any issues prior to being swapped. Plus I like to rebuild engines

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Here's a pic of Charlie's mount that I plan on totally ripping off when I do my swap :mrgreen:

WWZD
              Zulu Ministries

Comment

I don't even understand what the heck that is and how it works lol, I need more angles to look at. is it no weld?

Comment

I don't have any better pics because I copied those from his gallery on the site here. It looks like he machined it from a large piece of angle. It replaces the stock cast iron piece that is bolted to the back side of the block just above the alternator. When I make mine it will be welded and possibly gusseted if there's room for bracing.

Here's another pic and a comment he has under it.

I made this rear mount bracket out of some 1/2" angle iron on my mill. It's plenty stout and lighter than the Capri bracket. I have to weld a tab on it for the alternator. I plan on using the stock Festiva alternator.

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Looks like a no weld. The added piece looks like it uses the 3 original festy bolts to hold it together.
                    Does have to weld a tab for the alt though.
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Ya, I figured it was solid by the looks of it and the part where he said he milled it from a piece of angle. My mill isn't huge so it doesn't have that much HP. It would do it but it might take a while. Plus I don't have any 1/2" angle but I do have lots of 1/2" plate so I figured welding one up would be my best option. 6 of one half a dozen of the other

WWZD
                      Zulu Ministries

Comment

So here's a nice little piece of information for the B6ME swappers out there:

The other day I was cleaning up around the shop and I have about 8 different intakes laying around. I kept noticing that the B6ME injector harness and the B3 harness looked suspiciously alike, but I got busy and forgot to investigate further.

Bobby's swap question reminded me of this so since I couldn't sleep tonight I went out to the shop and decided to investigate it some more and this is what I found:

That's a B3 injector plugged into a B6ME harness...meaning if you swap in a B6ME there's no need to splice harnesses, it's plug and play

Unfortunately, this isn't the case with the B6D since it uses wire locks like a 1st gen B6 SOHC :/

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

nice find mark, looks like your gona make quick work of that swap. whats the hp & tq figures on those?
                          Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Hahaha...no, it will be a long slow process since I have 2 swaps ahead of this one and other work to get out first. My car is always last LOL Although one of the mentioned swaps is a 1st gen B6 with a ported head that I built a couple of years ago for a friend. That's going in my white 93...I just gotta see how that engine does after all that head work! But heck, that swap takes maybe a weekend at most

The Capri B6D puts down 100Hp and 95ft/lbs...before mods :evil2:
                            Last edited by Zanzer; 07-29-2013, 05:16 AM.

WWZD
                            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Nice work on the write up! Glad to see you got the engine cleaned up, and my yard man doesn't have to mow around it anymore. I will be watching this thread for more great work.
                              Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                              Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                              Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                              WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Working...
                              X