New HF trailer!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New HF trailer!!

Finally got my trailer, been wanting one for awhile now and the stars finally aligned and put me in a position to get one. After SEVERAL failed leads on good deals I broke down and got a harbor freight one. It's pretty small, small wheels, about half ton tow capacity, but should be more than I need.

Ordered this last Tuesday, so it took 8 days to get here from California. All told it was right about $150 after the 25% off coupon.

Pics!

Everything laid out fresh from the 2 boxes it came in
    image.jpg

Assembly took about 4 hours, still need to do a couple little things and put a deck on it but I'm gonna expand on it soon and make it a couple foot longer. Should be really easy! Could even go wider.
    image.jpg

The bolt pattern is 4x100, but the centerbore is about 1/16" too big for an aspire wheel. I'll probably try to get my hands on a couple aspire space savers and grind the centerbore big enough to make it work with some decent size tires. That's the only difference between this one and the one rated for a lot more, 8" vs 12" wheels.
    image.jpg

I took it out for a quick 15 minute cruise. Had it up to 60, checked the bearings and everything feels good. Just a little noise coming from the receiver. I need to shim it or something the rattles get annoying.

Gotta get a drop hitch for the festy lol, it's only about a foot and a half too tall, my aspire is lowered!!! Bigger tires will help!

Might as well throw these in here lol, did some bird watching at work today..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Drill and tap the side of the receiver part of the hitch for a 1/2" bolt then when you slide the ball into it just thread the bolt in and tighten. Works perfectly. You could even use a jam nut is you so desire to hold it in place.
    Last edited by Gomez; 11-06-2013, 08:51 PM.
    -Bryant

Comment

Yea sweet, didn't even think about a set screw.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

That's neat!!

Even though its from harbor freight.
        Let us know how it holds up.

id love to have one if I had a place to store it when not in use.
        Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

^ did you see father johns at Ohiosteva? It's the same one. He gave me some pointers for setting it up, keep the taillights in front of the back beam and you can put rollers on the bottom easy. Stand it up against a wall somewhere haha it's not that big. Be said he's been dragging it across states for awhile now and the bearings need repacked but it's still rolling good.

Don't underestimate harbor freight lol, some of their stuff is total trash but they have good warranties. As long as you don't expect too much from too little it's a good deal. Stuff like drills and grinders that get beat around a lot won't last long, I've been using a blue palm sander for the better part of 3 years.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

I've been thinking of getting that trailer too, but with the 12" wheels simply for a slower bearing speed. (Those are the 8" wheels, right?) Also the taller wheels will make it a bit more stable.

Strongly recommend you spray the whole trailer with Rustoleum paint (red for frame, black for fenders e.g.), since the cheap Chinese paint will quickly come off. When I buy mine, I will spray it thoroughly before assembly.
            Last edited by TominMO; 11-06-2013, 10:38 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
              ^ did you see father johns at Ohiosteva? It's the same one. He gave me some pointers for setting it up, keep the taillights in front of the back beam and you can put rollers on the bottom easy. Stand it up against a wall somewhere haha it's not that big. Be said he's been dragging it across states for awhile now and the bearings need repacked but it's still rolling good.

Don't underestimate harbor freight lol, some of their stuff is total trash but they have good warranties. As long as you don't expect too much from too little it's a good deal. Stuff like drills and grinders that get beat around a lot won't last long, I've been using a blue palm sander for the better part of 3 years.
              I've only bought one item from harbor freight (vacuum gauge kit)
              But I've just heard a lot of horror stories.

Even so it looks like a good deal for a trailer for an aspire/festiva.
              If I ever move back to Washington state I might get one for the move.
              I've always wanted a trailer.
              Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

I had the opposite situation. They were on sale and I got the biggest one. After adding rails, floor, and then painting everything with bed coating, I was way above the price that many other nice trailers were coming up for sale for on craigslist.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                  I've only bought one item from harbor freight (vacuum gauge kit)
                  But I've just heard a lot of horror stories.

Even so it looks like a good deal for a trailer for an aspire/festiva.
                  If I ever move back to Washington state I might get one for the move.
                  I've always wanted a trailer.
                  Do you recall that ugly trailer I was dragon at Madness? It is a HF trailer. That thing has WORKED hard for me for a few years now. I regularly throw more at it than it is rated for.

You really do have to learn what to buy, and what not to buy at HF. One example, the earthquake line is pretty decent at the price, but is usually close competitors stuff in price and quality. Usually just enough cheaper to make you choose them, and the ones I have bought have taken a good beating.
                  Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                  Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                  "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                    I had the opposite situation. They were on sale and I got the biggest one. After adding rails, floor, and then painting everything with bed coating, I was way above the price that many other nice trailers were coming up for sale for on craigslist.
                    Yea that's why I didn't want to make one from scratch, like everyone was telling me to do. By the time your done you'll have 4-600 in it and you can go buy a shiny new one for that, with a ramp!

Cheap easy effective I'll take it! Really it's getting extended longer and bigger rims and tires in the very near future and if it ends up costing more than the cost of mounting and balancing tires I'll be surprised. We have some angle sitting n the scrap pile at work so I'm gonna talk to my boss about that today.

I'm really tempted to use a couple rims flipped around inside out so I can just run a normal 13" tire.... And it will match the poked look with my festy lol..
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Here is the Northern Tool equivalent of the HF trailer. With 12" tires. Slightly better, in that it has a galvanized hitch and other fastener pieces. Nylock nuts too.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 11-07-2013, 09:06 AM.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Haha identical in every way, down to the pre drilled bolt holes as far as I can tell! I'm pretty sure the harbor freight hitch and hardware is galvanized.

+ the northern tool one is an extra hundred dollar bill.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                          Haha identical in every way, down to the pre drilled bolt holes as far as I can tell! I'm pretty sure the harbor freight hitch and hardware is galvanized.

+ the northern tool one is an extra hundred dollar bill.
                          Oops, looks like you're right on the galvanized stuff. Just went to the HF site to check. They list it at $219 BTW. Don't know what discounts apply at Northern, but anyway the HF unit seems the better deal. Still recommend painting or at least clearcoating the painted surfaces, preferably before assembly.

Edit: also recommend moving the lights back a few inches (drill one hole each side), so they are protected by the back of the frame. Lets you stand the trailer on end easily.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 11-07-2013, 09:24 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I bought a 4x8 HF trailer back in '08. I've put a lot of miles on it towing my dirt bike. It's been to Colorado twice, Utah, Nevada and Florida. I repack the bearings once a rear and had to paint the frame because the paint faded to a nice pink. I've had zero issues with it.

Rick
                            1993 Ford Festiva
                            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                            2000 Ford E350

Comment

Nice pics! Looks good on both cars.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X