Westiva 2014 Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westiva 2014 Photos

We had a great today at Westiva. Couldn't have asked for better weather... 30°C/86°F with hardly a cloud in the sky. This was the first year we've invited other econoboxes from the same era as our Festiva and we weren't disappointed, two members of the Teamswift.net forum joined us for the day. First to arrive was Casey and his 89 Swift GS sporting a well built 1.0L 3 cylinder turbocharged engine running upwards of 16lbs of boost on stock engine management on 94 octane gas. Interesting bit about Casey's car is that it was originally from Holland. Wilf and his wife Roseanne from Spruce Grove AB were next to arrive. Theirs is a 1990 Swift GT that they purchased new in 1991 and have thoroughly gone over the car in the years they've owned in. The engine bay sports a 1.3L DOHC turbocharged engine, the paint is all original for the most part, very little rust, all in all a very nice example of the breed.

Casey's car. Minus a hood... it's having some rust repairs done.

A couple of shots of Wilf's car

I know this is photo section but to be honest I forgot to take a lot of photos so I'm hoping the other attendees will add to this thread in short order. I know that Brad took some GoPro footage while we cruised from Wedge Pond up to Boulton Creek.

Now on to the Festivas. Sharon and I were there of course with my car and my daughter's '93 B6 GL. Worked on mine til late last night getting the replacement hatch installed along with the new speakers in the passenger door.

Also in attendance from the forum were Brad (littlehoe) with his '90 from Prince Albert SK. Bod II (bolokid) and his son Bob III drove their '91 auto with the freshly rebuilt engine all the way from Pasco WA. The car had only 300 miles on the engine prior to making the trip! Tom (tommychu) was there as well with his lifted Kia Sportage as his Festiva is still out of commission. At least he kept it in the family Kia built with Mazda FE-3 engine!

Here are some of the photos I took.

From left to right: Tom's Sportage, Brad's '90 Festiva, my daughter's '93, my '92, Casey's '89 Swift GS, Wilf's '90 Swift GT and Bob II's '91 Festiva.

Winner of this year's long distance award went to Bob. He beat out Brad by about 40km/25miles. As mentioned Bob's rebuilt engine only had about 300 miles on it prior to starting out. He has also added A/C and power steering to the mix. He told us the car ran great and cruised at 70-75mph without too much fuss.

Bob's tidy engine bay.

Taken just before the Bobs arrived

It was great to have Casey and Wilf there with their Swifts. Everyone enjoyed the day, the ice cream was great and the water at Upper Kananaskis Lake was refreshing to say the least! Already looking forward to Westiva 2015 (tentative date, July 11. Start your planning now!)
    Last edited by fastivaca; 07-13-2014, 01:33 AM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

I like the Swifts/Metros. Nice.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Looks like fun,
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Wow, the Kia looks even more awkwardly out-of-place in the lineup in the picture than it did in real life. Meh, it was fun and at least I didn't have to go out in my boring daily driver this year. Certainly made it very interesting driving a completely untested car that I recovered from a life of severe neglect and admittedly haven't quite finished yet.
        It was cool having the Suzuki guys out. I really dig the Festiva's competitors, and how those companies used often wildly different engineering to end up with surprisingly similar cars.
        Last edited by Tommychu; 07-13-2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

haha, I forgot to take pictures as well, between chasing my kid and trying to visit... oh well I snapped a couple so here they are...

before we left...

I weighed in at the scale on the way down... its in kg with my daughter, me , and all our gear...

Our camp site at Mt. Kidd. what a beautiful campground...

I haven't had a chance to check out the video yet but I will see what I can throw together in the next couple days...
          90 festiva BP/G25MR swap, spec v seats, aspire brakes, FMS springs, round headlight conversion with HID's, custom exhaust, fiberglass hood, and a whole lotta bodywork
          BEFORE AFTER

Comment

Working...
          X