So, I got a new hatchback...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I got a new hatchback...

Its a '79 Chevette with stock 1.6L SOHC Isuzu motor and 3 speed auto trans. Body is very solid, only one rust spot under driver side floor pan but its already been treated and patch panel welded in. It runs and drives but not very well, had a pretty bad knock and when I pulled the oil pan one of the rod bearings had eaten up the crank so bad I'd need about 3mm undersize bearings to even think about... turning it, so when tax return gets here its next on the list after Melissa's van. Probably going to put in a new crank, unless someone can confirm that the THM180 trans in it will bolt to, or at least bolt to the bellhousing to, an Iron Duke. The THM180 was used in the Grumman LLV mail trucks behind a duke, so its not unreasonably to think that a duke may be a simple and viable swap, especially with a carb and GM's effective (while maybe not efficient) self contained distributor and spark control.

No festiva for me ATM...

I love Chevettes! Nice score, man: good luck getting her reliable.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Everything is tip-top now except the crank. I'm considering just buying a crank kit for it, my AZ Commercial rep can get me one for $150 with a new crank, rod and main bearings, and associated seals.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Man, that thing looks like a midsize car compared to a Festy! How about a pic of it next to one?
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I will next time dad is at the shop. It is a little longer (four door and it has a more gradually sloped hatch) but otherwise it is about the same size as a festy. But RWD! Lol.
          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

- Form should follow function...

Comment

Wow... just wow. I was thinking of doing a 4.3L/700R4 build on this one, before my wife took one look at it and decided to adopt it like a stray puppy. I don't need her running around in a 200HP 2000lb rear wheel drive donut machine lol, she's scary enough driving the MPV.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

There are a couple of Chevettes at Able's junkyard in Sanborn, NY

Comment

During the early 1990's I owned a similar type of model car and while my friends were all driving around in their latest model hot hatch cars I was more than...
                  Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
                  Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
                  White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
                  White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
                  Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
                  Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
                  Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
                  White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                    There are a couple of Chevettes at Able's junkyard in Sanborn, NY
                    Feel like stripping a crankshaft out of one for me? Lol j/k.
                    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Ahh yes, the Chevette.

I'm no expert by any means, but I have owned 6 of them in the past.
                      2 '79's
                      2 '76's
                      2 '82's

'79 is sort of the change over year. Old style tail lights with the square headlights. Also the 1st year for the "wonderful" progressive Holley 5200 2 barrel.

The best "fix" I have found for this set up is to source an older Chevette ('76-'78 intake and single barrel Rochester).

A few years ago I was able to buy 2 NOS 1 barrels for $35 each. Still in the stock GM boxes. Then I found a single barrel intake online from a member of a Chevette forum.

Changing to a 1 barrel relieved 2 problems. One was the way the engine ran. A LOT smoother and more responsive with the 1 barrel, and removing/replacing the starter with the narrower 1 barrel intake installed made it so the engine didn't have to be tilted vs. the 2 barrel intake (you can remove the starter from the top side).

Also as a cost savings idea, the heater core IS part of the cooling system. In other words, it supplements the radiator to cool the engine. DO NOT bypass the heater core. They are simple to change (if needed) from under the hood. No dash work required.

The 1.6 is a non interference engine and swapping the timing belt is easy. It does require an 1/8" drill bit to align the cam sprocket after you get the crank at TDC.

Another tidbit of fun info, though I haven't done it myself. IF you want a full gauge cluster, find an older (late '70's/ early to mid '80's) full size Chevy/GMC van with a mechanical speedometer. The cluster is practically a bolt in, with SOME "pinning out" required.

I've always wondered about doing a 2.8 V6 swap. Seems the Chevette would have enough room WITHOUT any hacking. A 2.8 along with either a 5 speed or 700R4 would possibly yield as good, if not better mileage than the 1.6.

AFAIK, the only Chevettes to come with a 5 speed manual trans are the ones equipped with an Isuzu diesel.

Enjoy the new ride. Not as roomy as a Festiva, but probably as easy to work on.
                      Last edited by lessersivad; 02-06-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I'd want a straight 6 of some sort in there. Mmm good.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                          I'd want a V8 of some sort in there. Mmm good.
                          Fixed it for ya

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

^lol

typical Damkid

never enough cylinders
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                            X